Coconut Fiber Climbing Background

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Coconut Fiber Climbing Background

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:00 pm

I bought a sheet of that coconut fiber hermit crab climbing background today. I just want to say for a fact it raised my humidity by 5% in less than 10 minutes! O_o Boy was I surprised! I know it said it was supposed to keep humidity, but it worked way better than I expected!

Anyone else have any experience with these things? One section was only about $5.99 at PetSmart so not too bad....

I'veGotCrabs

Post by I'veGotCrabs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am

my crabs love it. I actually cut it into strips and put it all over my tank, attached to different things from the ground to give them something interesting to climb, in addition to holding the humidity. In my opinion it's a good find! :-)
5 pp's(largest to smallest): Rogue, Ty, Scout, Shelley, Jekyll,

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:55 am

That's a great idea! I have been having trouble finding any sort of suitable netting that they could use to climb to the second floor shell shop but I'll go get some more of that coconut fiber instead since I can actually find it!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:47 pm

If you're looking for fish net, Walmart sells real used fish net in their "crafting" department. It's usually by the fake flowers and the sea shells. I got a large piece for about $6 dollars. It was pretty dirty so I ended up washing it off well and then boiling it, but now my crabs love it. I used it for decoration and also for a way up to the shell shops, and I cut off strips to hang the shell shop baskets and also for any sort of ties needed inside the tank.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Awesome I'll look there next time ^_^ Thanks for the tip!

Alma

Post by Alma » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 pm

I have that too and i made little houses or hiding places. i cut a rectangular piece roll it a bit and it stay like a hut. :P

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:25 am

Make sure it doesn't stay constantly wet, such as in a background that touches the substrate. It so, it will mold very quickly.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Topic author
Bekka16

Post by Bekka16 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 pm

i have a bunch of that stuff. I got it during a sale and got 2 packs of it for $6. I also got a bit more from someone else. The only problem I have with it is the velcro didn't hold it up very well and it molded within a few days where the substrate touched it.

amycolette

Post by amycolette » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:08 pm

I had some of that background in my first little crabitat, but it molded pretty quickly with the humidity...so I ended up having to throw it out.
B.S. Wildlife & Fisheries Science, Penn State University

Prowd keeper of 12 PPs and 6 Es.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

My crabs LOVE those. To keep it from molding, spray it with salt water. (Or your tank for that matter.)
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm

The crabs love it but sadly I just took it out a few days ago. It was starting to come apart at the top. I was also sick of wasting velcro on keeping it up. I love the look of the mat but keeping it attacked to the tank is the biggest pain. Now I'm possibly looking into getting the corkboard sheets. They basically are corkboard with what looks like bark (probably cork bark) on one side. I also just got a piece of driftwood with suction cups attached to it that looks really awesome, hoping the crabs like it.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

Criket

Post by Criket » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I bought this a few months ago and my crabs really love it. The only problem is keeping it up, eventually the Velcro would fall off so I have to wedge pieces of drift wood on the sides to keep it from falling. :?

GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I had bought it a long time ago. But, I haven't use it yet.
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

stan

Post by stan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 am

I used it once but I didn't like the fact of sand getting messed up, but i've gotta say it's a really jice product. Behind it, there's a hidey alley where every crab loves to hide, and it's climbable for any size crabs! Totally recommended.

sage dragon

Re: Coconut Fiber Climbing Background

Post by sage dragon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:09 pm

can i silecone some of the coconut fiber sheet to the back of the tank/ or do i need to remove it regularly? i dont mind regluing it every month or so, will that be ok? i plan on stteing it above the sand surface and piling rocks up so the crabs can climb up to it. also should i glue the rocks together so they dont shift? read glue as silecone.