my crabitat build photo journal!!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
curious_kitty

bird's eye view

Post by curious_kitty » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:11 pm

I had to stand on a chair to take this photo. Can you spot few hermies in the picture? One by one, they've started to wake up. Probably because I was being fussy trying to take a good shot..... go figure
:D

One of my bigger Es doing Mission Impossible V
Last edited by curious_kitty on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

Hermitcrablover12

Post by Hermitcrablover12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:16 pm

My crabs should move in with you! XD

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 pm

AMAZING!!!!!
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 pm

I admit, I am jealous!
It's a wonderful crabby paradise :)

littleraindrop87

Post by littleraindrop87 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 am

SUPER DUPER AWESOME!!!!! your jumbos look POSITIVELY TINY in there!!!! i can just imagine how huge is it. *is jealous*

my crabs are enjoying the stuff you passed to me :) I just have not gotten the time to take pics too. XD plus its time to deep clean it. :S
Rugs: Ribbs, Raiko, Racer, Ramica,
Indos: Rum, Reizin, Reffalump
Violas: Ritsuke, Risako, Rekka
Straws: Rumbo, Rhivas, Rice, BFG

Call me Fallow

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 am

Welcome back curious kitty!

Your tank is amazing! Are you considering adding more plants? :D
Semi-active
Keeping C.Brevimanus "C.Purpureus" C.Rugosus C.Scaevola C.Perlatus C.Pseudorugosus C.???

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

You're back! I was hoping you'd be back! :D

The tank looks amazing and I'm so glad that the crabbies are enjoying it so much. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:57 pm

curious kitty!!! yayyyy I'm glad you're back!
Your tank looks absolutely gorgeous!!
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:46 pm

littleraindrop87 wrote:my crabs are enjoying the stuff you passed to me :) I just have not gotten the time to take pics too. XD plus its time to deep clean it. :S
Hi Fallow! You better post photos soon!! Id love to look at how its set up with pools~!!
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Spiral wrote:Welcome back curious kitty!
Your tank is amazing! Are you considering adding more plants? :D
thanks!!! I am planning on adding Brom. Crypthantus(still in transit at the moment), and some more ferns...... be sure to let me know if there are any other plants that do well in terrarium :")

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:You're back! I was hoping you'd be back! :D
The tank looks amazing and I'm so glad that the crabbies are enjoying it so much. :)
oh my.... only if I knew it was going to take this much effort to finish the enclosure, I don't think I'd have started the project.. I am finally doing the fun part- decorating, and adding more things into it.. of course, killing about $$$ moneys worth of plants that did not survive........ so sad :(
I did get a good deal on Brom plants this time, from same seller that sold me previous batch. SO I am good, i think!!
tlivs wrote:curious kitty!!! yayyyy I'm glad you're back!
Your tank looks absolutely gorgeous!!
thank you thank you! This journey to finishing the enclosure has been.... somewhat mixed with failures and success. Its still in a process of tweaking misting times, and frequency to make sure the plants in there are happy.. but other than that, I am happy!

here are some updates: I took after adding some plants that arrived yesterday.. Enjoy!

aquav

Post by aquav » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Good to see you back. Everything looks amazing!!!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:58 am

Awesome! I am sure they are pretty happy Hermies!!!

Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

That Looks AMAZING.....WOW :shock: You Did a GREAT Job!!! 8) If you find Yourself bored and wanted to do another take Let me know.... :wink:
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

Topic author
curious_kitty

ressurection fern!

Post by curious_kitty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Thank you everyone!!!!
lol I doubt my DH would agree to another project like this one(took alooot longer, and more $$$ to finish up than originally planned). I AM planning on making mini terrarium that will hold my Mexican Pings with 5g tank, so that would be more fun. I will post photos once I get started...!!

soooo, i bought more ressurection fern last week, and it arrived two days ago- after quick rinsing in alcohol, I had it rinsed and soaked in distilled water to 'resurrect' the fern(it arrived dry, shriveled up..). This morning, I saw that it came back to being green, and went ahead and mounted it on the tree branches, and cracks between the barks. After few rounds of misting, it perked up really nicely. life is so much better with misting system. My previous batch of resurrection fern did not survive, because i had placed into my enclosure too early without setting up the misting system-hand misting wasn't kept up, and without door keeping the humidity, they eventually died(?). Hopefully, they do well. Idea is that I want to decrease the frequency and duration of misting to less less than 10s, and misting only every other day. I heard that in a heavily planted tank, its possible to keep the humidity level high with plants with less frequent misting. but we will see about that....

Enclosure photo taken this morning after putting up resurrection fern, and misting done shortly afterwards