Second levels with plastic canvas!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Bubble_hermes

Second levels with plastic canvas!

Post by Bubble_hermes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 pm

As nets are very controversial, I've been looking around for some different materials to create a snazzy looking second level.

Plastic canvas! The hole's are just right to weave hemp, jute, vines etc through it to create a solid but lightweight second level platform.

I'm going to be making one for my tank and suspending it from the lid. I'm also going to make a railing out of vines so my hermies don't fall off by accident. :) I'll make a hemp floor and add some moss in it for my hermies to have a nice, pretty spot to relax and climb on.

If a person got really creative they could use different shades (if it's safe) to make designs in the floor.
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

Eugooglizer

Post by Eugooglizer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I just got done using a bunch of the plastic canvas to make dividers for my betta tanks--I love it. Some craft stores carry it in lots of different colors too. If you want to reinforce the edges, buy a package of those clear report covers with the plastic bindings you slide the papers into. Use just the plastic binding parts and slide them onto the edges of the canvas and cut to fit. You could even use hot glue to secure them. I thin there are lots of creative ways you could use this.

Topic author
Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:09 pm

It's a lot of fun! Ooo! If someone had the skill and time to do it, you could make a spiral staircase and use the moss to give it an old temple staircase look. You know what I mean?
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

what to use

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:52 pm

I just bought some plastic canvas at a dollar store because I was having no luck finding a soap dish/shower caddy that would suction onto the side to make a little moss pit kind of hang out for Sonny and Cher. I was planning on making it like a shallow box but open on the top. What should I use to 'attach' the pieces of plastic canvas together that is safe in the crabitat?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Eveningraid

Post by Eveningraid » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:19 pm

I would use hemp string and sew them together just like you would with yarn. If that isnt enough support use aquarium sealant.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

thanks!

Post by curlysister » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks - I got some hemp and sewed a little hangout for them. But when I ordered some stuff online, I totally forgot to order moss! :crazy: I guess it will have to wait til my next order (shipping to Canada is usually too much to only order one item.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers