would mini hockey nets be a safe 2nd floor

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

would mini hockey nets be a safe 2nd floor

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 pm

i was woundering if mini hockey nets would make a good 2nd floor? would it be safe?
i hope i helped
not really a master im kinda new
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)
and herman (purple pincher)

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Personally I'd steer clear of synthetic fibers as they are quite fine and it's easy for limb joints to get entangled and cut. Think of fishing nets.

If I were to use a net, I'd use burlap, hemp or jute.

Shower caddies and little plastic desk shelves from dollar stores make good second levels.

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm

okay but what could i make leading up to the shower caddy i cant really buy any wood or anything its winter so i cant go out and find some safe wood i know woods cheap but petstores near me are things like pet vaule they take pride in taking care of all pets thats why i buy my hermies there they have great conditions but there a small roup of stores so they dont have that choba wood or what ever it is i hate buying offline aswell so what should i do
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

You can use aquarium plants, fake plants from the dollar store or walmart, you can also use ceramic items (ex: large ceramic pine cone- I found one at a thrift store) it works great for a climbing toy/ ladder.
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 pm

leaf mats are also good for climbing sources you can also bend them into huts.. I believe Canada has AC Moore crafts they have choya wood. My shop also ships to Canada I have leaf mats at coast there. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Suebeebuzz?section_id=6854851
you would be surprised the things around your house you can use. Do you have a oak tree or a maple tree out side? You can use branches from those . You would want to bring them in scrub them under hot water with a brush and bake them in the oven or microwave them to kill any bugs or bug eggs that may of taken home in them.. you can also boil them. Home maintenance stores sell coco nut fiber mats that can be cut and used to make climbing items too. We have some creative members here that have used leggos and baskets to make some great climbing toys. Look around the kitchen if its food safe most likely its safe to put in your hermit crab tank.. Let us know what you come up with, we love to get new ideas!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:37 am

the easiest thing would be a nice stick, my crabs love climbing them. Smooth ones with no bark, some people bake them to remove any bacteria, mine came of the beach ages ago when I first got my tank and didn't know you were supposed to do that!

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:03 pm

i love those leaf plant things i will think about buying it and also i live in the mittle of nowhere the closest kinda town is 30 min away i go there alot they have the pet vaule store and a dollar store and walmart so i will see but i may want to buy the hermie treats and the leaf things. :D
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

you can find cholla wood at michaels for pretty cheap and it makes a great ladder. You can also knit a ladder out of hemp or jute, just make it long and skinny
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 pm

im not even sure what micals is and i cant find hemp anywhere
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Thecrabmaster1 wrote:im not even sure what micals is and i cant find hemp anywhere
Michaels is a craft store; there's also JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. You can find hemp in the jewelry making section of any craft store (even WalMart carries it).

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 pm

i cant knit crocait or anything i need to buy it hermitcrab adiction has hemp so i may buy there
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Do you have an relatives that crotchet?

This thread has the instructions for a net, so if you have a relative that crotchets you could ask for it as a Christmas present!
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=76693

According to VHPlac who started the thread, the hemp yarn only cost them $5 from Walmart

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:28 pm

i wish i could say yes but no i dont haha :roll:
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)