TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Kat

Re: TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

Post by Kat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:30 pm

I love the sand turtle!
Rabid crabber since November 2012 with PPs, Es, straws, ruggies, a viola, cats, a hamster, and a gerbil.

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm so making a sand turtle. so how about some tips on how to attach gauges and climbing things and levels etc since suction cups probably wouldn't work too well? I just linked this to someone and then realized it didn't really explain that unless I missed it lol
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 pm

I've found that suction cups, gauges, plants and all that stick to the sides just as well as in a tank :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 pm

I've never had much luck with suction cups in a GLASS tank for that matter so I can't really comment on that lol. Though with totes you can make plant fixtures a little more permanent by drilling holes in the side and threading the plants through. Gauges I just prop up in my shell shop lol
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

Crabby_bear
Location: I /want/ to be on St. Johns island during the hermit migration

Post by Crabby_bear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Great idea! I'm currently doing that on a small scale. (about 7.5 gal)
What do you do for heat? I've thought about using lights, but I was afraid that the plastic would release fumes and/or melt.
My crabs are
The Doctor (or Matt Smith) - Small PP
Mo - Medium PP
Tulia - Medium PP

I'm also owned by a Pitbull-lab mix named Bella.

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 am

UTHs. I tried putting a small lamp on there for light but even that got too hot and warped the plastic a bit. UTHs don't for some reason.

Priya

Post by Priya » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:18 pm

That's one nice looking crabitote, Yuka :P
4 Purple Pinchers: Kraken, Lilith, Gilgamesh, Marilith
1 Straw: Tiamat
55g tank with about 10" playsand & EE substrate, fw bubbler pool, sw pool. Densely "planted" with cholla, cork barks and upper levels.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Is it weird to say that I like to read this tutorial when I'm trying to get out of doing homework for the lolz? Because I can't help but laugh every time I do! :lol:

No, but, seriously. Love it~ My next upgrade has to be a tote, for sure.
Sheldon and Leonard - RIP 1/11/15
"TIA IS.... NEVER WRONG 60% OF THE TIME. The other 40% she is right." - Chelsea716
"Tia shall never be questioned tis she is the master of all answers." - Bean2011
"Yes Tia, everything you say inspires me" - zoey

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 am

Ahh I'm so flattered! <3

Dude you should see the tumblr version, it's awesome. I really should figure out how to make a topper for these, or at least connecting them. That'd be cool. :D Or I'm gonna start looking for a 90g lol

MissFrost

Post by MissFrost » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am

This is great, Yuka. My husband keeps telling me that we don't have room for another tank, but he said nothing about totes!! I love the idea of threading plants through the side, no way for the crabs to tear them down every night. Do you stack them on top of each other or have them on table tops or the floor? How well can you see the crabs through the side compared to a glass tank?

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:04 am

I have one on a dresser and another on the floor. When I just had one, I kept it on the same table as their old 30g. I can't see them as clearly as I can a glass tank, especially since I have condensation galore with these things but I can see 'em well enough. :p It's impossible to stack them on top of one another anyway since I doubt the tote underneath can support a couple hundred pounds of sub and even if it could, I can't lift that much! XD Though let's not forget that this isn't a permanent home for the moment, just a long term housing solution. For me, with the amount of crabs I have, I couldn't house half a dozen jumbos in there with the way things are now. I'd have to find a way to connect them and make toppers. Now if other people only have a small amount of crabs and could just build a topper, that makes things much easier. :P

janehappy

Post by janehappy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm

how do you keep it warm????
3 cute little PPs and a brown tabby cat

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:26 pm

On that one in particular, 60g UTH covered with foam house insulation.

RedResilience

Post by RedResilience » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:26 pm

This is absolute genius! I am totally going to do this when I need to upgrade. :)
4 Caribbean Hermit Crabs: Shelley (Medium F), Harley (Large F), Jade (?), Toro (?)
RIP: Zoidberg (?), Opal (Medium F)

1 Betta Fish , 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Campbell's/Djungarian Hybrid Dwarf Hamster, 2 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters, 1 Syrian Hamster, 2 Egyptian Spiny Mice, 2 Fancy Mice, 2 Fancy Rats

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Yuka wrote:Dude you should see the tumblr version, it's awesome. I really should figure out how to make a topper for these, or at least connecting them. That'd be cool. :D Or I'm gonna start looking for a 90g lol
You see, I would, but it would make it so much easier for me to do so if a certain someone were to send me a PM directing me to said version. :wink:

Seeing a topper AND a tube or something connecting them would blow my mind. Wait, where's Curlz? Doesn't Curlz's tank having a connecting tube? Cuuuuuuuuurlz, come over heeeeeeeere~

Edit: Waitwaitwait. Question.
Why isn't this topic pinned yet?
Sheldon and Leonard - RIP 1/11/15
"TIA IS.... NEVER WRONG 60% OF THE TIME. The other 40% she is right." - Chelsea716
"Tia shall never be questioned tis she is the master of all answers." - Bean2011
"Yes Tia, everything you say inspires me" - zoey