TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Nia

Re: TOTE TUTORIAL~ 8D

Post by Nia » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you! this gives me a great idea for when we move ^.^. I will probably make a post when we get closer to the date of moving on more tips and safety ideas. I want to make it as stress free and as safe for them as possible. I was told if I kept them in their tank that would be ok to but like I said I want to keep them safe and it is a glass tank so idk if that is a good idea or not. This is also a good idea since someone wants me to adopt a med sweet heart PP. May have a new adopted soon. <3 it and nice job (the turtle was a cute add :D).
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:39 am

When I moved, I dug those who were down (though none were mid molt, thank God) and put everyone in a KK. :p Though moving totes are so much easier, you can drop 'em and they won't shatter into a million pieces.
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:04 pm

I think my next crabitat will be a tote! I totally don't need more crabs, but I'll keep this idea in mind~

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:16 am

CallaLily wrote:Great job! I used a huge tote for a while last summer. I added screening and well....they escaped a lot! If I ever do it again I'll drill a bunch of holes like you have. I also use a tote for one of my cresties, Calcifer. :D

Kuza, awesome idea using another tote flipped over on top to add height!

Oh I love that lol I love Howel's too. :cheer:
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm

I am thinking about using a tote for my hermit crab what kind do i need to look for ?

maymay

Post by maymay » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Brittanybaby22 wrote:I am thinking about using a tote for my hermit crab what kind do i need to look for ?
Since you don't have lots of hermit crabs I'd just get a small one that is as clear as possible (doesn't have to be clear at all but it's nice to be able to see inside and look at them). You could get anything that is about 12inches tall, 20inches length, and 10inches wide. Make sure it has a lid as they can easily escape without one! I hope you take pictures of your setup once it's all put together! I can't wait to see what you do :)

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Ok i will try but i dont know how to post pics on here?

LaceK

Post by LaceK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Brittanybaby22 wrote:Ok i will try but i dont know how to post pics on here?

If you read the post at the topic at the top of the "Pictures" form it explains how you can put pictures on here. :)
V=(° °)=V

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Ok i will try that thanks

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 am

Yuka wrote:UTHs. I tried putting a small lamp on there for light but even that got too hot and warped the plastic a bit. UTHs don't for some reason.
Yuka,This is good for short term use but I have a bit of a worry long term. The crabs not getting enough light through the plastic it effects their eyes in releasing molting hormones.I wonder if it could effect their molting long term? Not knocking your idea just wondering.

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:48 am

Is it ok to use heating pads on the tote

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

IBlab crab wrote: Yuka,This is good for short term use but I have a bit of a worry long term. The crabs not getting enough light through the plastic it effects their eyes in releasing molting hormones.I wonder if it could effect their molting long term? Not knocking your idea just wondering.
You could cut a section out of the lid and attach a fine metal mesh to allow light placement. Or if you had a taller one (or did that upside down bin thing to add height) somehow attach lighting inside? (Florescent uvb lighting, I don't think heat lamps would be a good idea) Just thinking out loud. ;)
Brittanybaby22 wrote:Is it ok to use heating pads on the tote
I'm pretty sure Yuka said she's used them without issue. :)

Topic author
Yuka

Post by Yuka » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Its pretty bright in there with my lamp pointing at it. I've used the totes for nearly a year and the only issues I've had with molting was a straw who came up with half a leg missing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Ok thanks i am getting a tote Saturday so i will be sitting that up

maymay

Post by maymay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:31 am

Brittanybaby22 wrote:Ok thanks i am getting a tote Saturday so i will be sitting that up
That's great! If you have any questions while setting it up just come on here and ask!!