1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:19 pm

As some of you already know, I've been working on building a new crabitat. :D
This is the official announcement and the build thread which will be updated as it all comes together.
According to THIS SITE, it's approximately 1,021.9 US gallons.......
So far I've managed to find an old bookshelf which has been turned into the substrate basin at 83" long, 36" wide, and 18" high. I used a bead of silicone in all of the edges and added pond liner to avoid any possible leaks.
I've also constructed a false bottom using 1" PVC pipe and weed guard fabric. Since the substrate isn't visible like on a normal aquarium, I didn't want to risk a flooded substrate happening without being noticed.

Using 2x4's I've erected studs on every corner (and an additional support in the middle along the back wall) as a basic frame for the back & side walls and lid. The back wall is crab-safe-sealed pine, and the side walls will be the front and back of mycurrent 217gl Crabitat. I didn't want to disassemble it but it's saving me quite a bit of money, plus it's going to look great with a glass side to allow better viewing and more natural light.
You can read about this build HERE.

I've also been using a new method for creating a Great Stuff & Cement background, you simply spray it on plastic bags in the shape you need then peel it off once it's dry, and you get lightweight pieces which make easier to grout and easier to attach to the crabitat. It also makes it simple to create flat ledges for eating platforms, shell shops, or you can carve a hole for a moss pits, leaf pit or EE pit. Since I have over 4 feet of height and width to work with, I will have several EE pit ledges and moss pits which also increase molting space.
This is the thread I used as a guide for the DIY background:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/view ... 5&t=183891

Here's the rough drawing of the new Crabitat! :D

I don't have any current pictures but i'll be uploading a few tomorrow morning :-D
Can't wait to see it all completed!!!
Last edited by kip.rogers357 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

cjmiller

Re: 1,020gl Homemade Crabitat Build

Post by cjmiller » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't even know what to say. Can't wait to see this take shape! WOW

EDIT: Will you be painting the background and if so - what kind of paint will you be using? How will you seal it? I have never made anything before like this.....but looking at that thread to the background it really doesn't look too hard. I don't think I would do a full background but maybe a side wall or something...that is REALLY neat.
Christina
8 PP's and 10 E's in a 170gal tank / 3 Straws, 4 Ruggies, 3 Violas in ISO right now after shipment
Also have two dogs, Jax and Bailey, and one cat, Nina

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:14 pm

WOW! So, when are you gonna open a zoo? I cna't wait until I can move out and start building a massive crab tank. Also, its a gallon off. The tank is 1021.9 gallons....
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 pm

It should look pretty awesome! And so much room!

Priya

Post by Priya » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:17 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK this forum has the CRAAZZZIIIEEESSSTTTT of pet owners I have ever seen!!! And to be honest, I really like this passion of everyone here! These just may be crabs, and a lot of people won't ever get what all the big fuss about some crabs is for, but I totally get you guys :D (I have a bunny and I totally understand people who are nuts about pets) And some of your crab craziness is now rubbing off on me :shock: (though not to this extent :P)
4 Purple Pinchers: Kraken, Lilith, Gilgamesh, Marilith
1 Straw: Tiamat
55g tank with about 10" playsand & EE substrate, fw bubbler pool, sw pool. Densely "planted" with cholla, cork barks and upper levels.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 am

OMG!! When can i move in?? :) Or if i can't move in ( :( ) When can you ship one to aus?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 am

I cant wait to see everything :D .....
I am trying to save up to buy everything I need to build my own custom 500 gallon tank , well my fiancé would be trying to do it for the first time but he goes to school for carpentry. How much would you say your price range for everything?
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

inbloom2316

Post by inbloom2316 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Prices depend on how you want to build it and what you want to build with. I'd say my 235 gallon cost about 300 dollars to build. It also depends on if you have tools and such.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my hermit crab rescue, Home Shell Rescue! Visit http://HomeShellRescue.com

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 pm

I've been waiting a long time for this post Kip... I'm so excited for you and can't wait to watch vicariously :-D you rock!

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:43 pm

WOW! That's a crab dream home right there! I think I need to dig in and find my creative side so when we build our house I have a custom built crab wall rather than my 55g corner.
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

StephBaby

Post by StephBaby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Amazing! Cant wait for the updates. Good luck
Owner of 3 pp's Herman, Mya 2 and Midori.
NINE SUCCESSFUL MOLTS!!!!!
Crabbing since June 2011

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:16 am

Bridgitmac80 wrote:WOW! That's a crab dream home right there! I think I need to dig in and find my creative side so when we build our house I have a custom built crab wall rather than my 55g corner.
Or room?! :P
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm really impressed. Can't wait to see more.

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I apologize for the late reply!!! Work has been crazy, and I've been visiting my nephew at the hospital, I barely have time to even eat sometimes! :x I wasn't even able to get new pictures, i only have the few from when I did the measuring and cutting of the 2x4's :( I know, i'm a lagger! I promise I'll update more often!

(Excuse the mess! This is my laundry room/work room/storage shed...)

Updated pics coming soon!!!

cjmiller wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't even know what to say. Can't wait to see this take shape! WOW

EDIT: Will you be painting the background and if so - what kind of paint will you be using? How will you seal it? I have never made anything before like this.....but looking at that thread to the background it really doesn't look too hard. I don't think I would do a full background but maybe a side wall or something...that is REALLY neat.
Thanks! lol
I will not be painting the background, simply coating it with cement and sealing it. The sealer is a "sanding sealer" which is safe for animal/fish use. It was recommended by a few fish enthusiasts. I will be doing the entire back wall only as the side walls already have plenty...since they're on my current crabitat.

Chelsea716 wrote:WOW! So, when are you gonna open a zoo? I cna't wait until I can move out and start building a massive crab tank. Also, its a gallon off. The tank is 1021.9 gallons....
lol no zoo for me, but perhaps a hermit crab farm! :D
I know it's listed as 1,021.9 but when you add the false bottom and background wall it'll take away some room. I simply rounded down.

kuza wrote:It should look pretty awesome! And so much room!
Thanks! I hope the crabs enjoy not only the digging and climbing room, but also the open land area (more to roam)!

Priya wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK this forum has the CRAAZZZIIIEEESSSTTTT of pet owners I have ever seen!!! And to be honest, I really like this passion of everyone here! These just may be crabs, and a lot of people won't ever get what all the big fuss about some crabs is for, but I totally get you guys :D (I have a bunny and I totally understand people who are nuts about pets) And some of your crab craziness is now rubbing off on me :shock: (though not to this extent :P)
haha! yes, we are a couple of crazy crabbers here! I've always had a big passion for all the animals I've had in my care! They deserve to be treated right!

aussieJJDude wrote:OMG!! When can i move in?? :) Or if i can't move in ( :( ) When can you ship one to aus?
You can move in once it's completed! Pack your bags!
If I wasn't disassembling the 217 gallon (and if shipping was possible and inexpensive) I would totally ship it to you!

kittyluvcrabby2113 wrote: I cant wait to see everything :D .....
I am trying to save up to buy everything I need to build my own custom 500 gallon tank , well my fiancé would be trying to do it for the first time but he goes to school for carpentry. How much would you say your price range for everything?
Do it, it's a great feeling to know you built it and that the crabs enjoy it!
The price range is around $150-$250, now of course i'm a cheapskate so I reuse what I can like scrap wood, and old sliding doors. I've spent about $60 on lumber and screws, $40 on Great Stuff, $30 on silicone and sealer, and $30 on liner and weed guard.
This is correct though:
inbloom2316 wrote:Prices depend on how you want to build it and what you want to build with. I'd say my 235 gallon cost about 300 dollars to build. It also depends on if you have tools and such.

It all depends on what you use and where you shop! :)

parrothead wrote: I've been waiting a long time for this post Kip... I'm so excited for you and can't wait to watch vicariously :-D you rock!
Thanks! It's hard to find the time to post with work, colorguard, and Aidan's constant hospital visits. Luckily I get a few minutes on Mon, Tues, and Thursdays! So keep an eye out for updates on those days! :wink:

Bridgitmac80 wrote:WOW! That's a crab dream home right there! I think I need to dig in and find my creative side so when we build our house I have a custom built crab wall rather than my 55g corner.
Do it! You and the crabs will be glad that you did! Plus with custom built you get it just hoe you want it!

StephBaby wrote:Amazing! Cant wait for the updates. Good luck
Thank you! :-D I'll try to update as often as possible!

sugarselections wrote:I'm really impressed. Can't wait to see more.
Thank you! I appreciate it!
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Wow, looking good :)