1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

SoulLonely

Re: 1,020gl Homemade Crabitat Build

Post by SoulLonely » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 pm

wowowowowow!!!!! can't wait to see it done!!! :banana:
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:55 pm

looks like it will be a home away from home for the little guys. :clap:

cjmiller

Post by cjmiller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 pm

kip.rogers357 wrote: I will not be painting the background, simply coating it with cement and sealing it. The sealer is a "sanding sealer" which is safe for animal/fish use. It was recommended by a few fish enthusiasts. I will be doing the entire back wall only as the side walls already have plenty...since they're on my current crabitat.
Coating with Cement as in grout? What is the sanding sealer you will be using? Obviously there's a ton of different kinds when I google :? I am in the process right now of converting a display case to a crabitat and am planning on doing custom background/sides. That is why I am so curious as to how you are going to do it :D

I thought I had read that the Krylon Fusion is ok in aquariums - but looking at the store I have yet to find a "stone" look. Only thing I can find a stone look in is the Rustoleum, which I don't know enough about aquariums/custom pieces to know if that would be ok as long as it was sealed after. Might be the better way to go with the grout and then seal.

I also just assumed people would use an aquarium sealer or silicone sealant to seal it in. *shrugs*

The foam pieces are obviously nice and light. When you add the "cement" does it make them much heavier?
Christina
8 PP's and 10 E's in a 170gal tank / 3 Straws, 4 Ruggies, 3 Violas in ISO right now after shipment
Also have two dogs, Jax and Bailey, and one cat, Nina

EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:50 am

Any new pics!
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

Kgoleb

Post by Kgoleb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 pm

WOW, is that for humans or hermits?! ;) that is absolutely awesome! cant wait for more pictures

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Kgoleb wrote:WOW, is that for humans or hermits?! ;) that is absolutely awesome! cant wait for more pictures
For humans to keep the hermies! :P
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 pm

I apologize for not keeping you all informed with the progress of the build, life has been rough.
As most of you know, my nephew, Aidan, had been fighting cancer since December 2011. He was so strong and taught us all to be strong. Unfortunately, on October 13th he gained his wings and flew to heaven. With it being close to the holiday season my entire family just kind of shut off from the world. Aidan loved Halloween, and we'd always get together for Thanksgiving. This year we decided to have a big family get together for Christmas which really helped get through it without Aidan. And of course yesterday, we got together at the cemetery and did a balloon release for his 4th birthday. We had cake and pizza and just shared our stories and memories of the handsome boy.
I'd like to thank those of you who sent prayers and gifts for Aidan, we greatly appreciate it!

The 1,020 gallon crabitat is completed! I promise that I'll be more active on the forums, I miss being around.
Oh yeah, and congrats to the new Mods and Admins!
Last edited by kip.rogers357 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss Kip.

kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, we all though he was going to make it :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I so sorry for you loss, such a young life... :( It sad when older people die but young kids or even kids, it just sad... THey haven't had time to experience the world...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:28 am

I'm sure he is lookin down at u from jannah right now. So sorry for your loss. I've gone through a lot of losses in my life but thank God everybody that passed had a long life. I couldn't even imagine lossing one of my little cousins or nephews and nieces. In the end we will all be back together again. Much love to u and your family. Stay strong.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 am

I'm so sorry. My heart breaks. My own little girl was diagnosed with leukemia at 11 months old. We lived at St. Jude's in Memphis for 6 months and it took her nearly 2 years after that to recover. My prayers are with you and your family.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 am

cjmiller wrote:Coating with Cement as in grout? What is the sanding sealer you will be using? Obviously there's a ton of different kinds when I google :? I am in the process right now of converting a display case to a crabitat and am planning on doing custom background/sides. That is why I am so curious as to how you are going to do it :D

I thought I had read that the Krylon Fusion is ok in aquariums - but looking at the store I have yet to find a "stone" look. Only thing I can find a stone look in is the Rustoleum, which I don't know enough about aquariums/custom pieces to know if that would be ok as long as it was sealed after. Might be the better way to go with the grout and then seal.

I also just assumed people would use an aquarium sealer or silicone sealant to seal it in. *shrugs*

The foam pieces are obviously nice and light. When you add the "cement" does it make them much heavier?
I actually decided to go ahead and paint it. I used acrylic paints and sealed it with silicone. It made quite a mess but I'm pleased with the results, and I'm glad that they have a grippy surface to grab on to and not a rough surface like it would've been with the cement (and it would've certainly been heavy like my first one for the 217 gallon).

CallaLily wrote:I'm so sorry for your loss Kip.
kuza wrote:I'm so sorry for your loss, we all though he was going to make it :(
aussieJJDude wrote:I so sorry for you loss, such a young life... :( It sad when older people die but young kids or even kids, it just sad... THey haven't had time to experience the world...
EdisNiksic wrote:I'm sure he is lookin down at u from jannah right now. So sorry for your loss. I've gone through a lot of losses in my life but thank God everybody that passed had a long life. I couldn't even imagine lossing one of my little cousins or nephews and nieces. In the end we will all be back together again. Much love to u and your family. Stay strong.
mom23 wrote:I'm so sorry. My heart breaks. My own little girl was diagnosed with leukemia at 11 months old. We lived at St. Jude's in Memphis for 6 months and it took her nearly 2 years after that to recover. My prayers are with you and your family.
Thank you all so much! It pains me to know that he's not coming over when my sister comes, or that I won't get to hold him in my arms again but I am a strong believer that things happen in our lives for a reason. He taught us so much about ourselves and each other. He always had a smile on his face, regardless of what was happening. The last two weeks of his life in Ft Worth were incredible, he had visits from his grandparents, including my mom and dad, his dad was there, I was there. He even got a visit from his Doctor and favorite nurse from El Paso Children's hospital who happened to be in Dallas for training. It made Aidan so happy! It made me happy! I know that he was happy and accomplished what his goal was in life. He brought our family closer, and showed us that we can be strong and even stronger together.
I'm glad that your daughter was able to recover mom23, we had strong hopes that Aidan would get through this, especially because we always had such positive follow-ups, things would be great, then he'd have a new mass, or his body wasn't responding to medication, or something would happed, but then he'd be all better again.
Cancer really does suck, especially childhood cancer. You just don't expect for this to happen to kids, or anyone really, it's just common in older people, or at least that's what I thought...boy was I wrong. Meeting kids of all ages and seeing them all fighting different types of cancer is just heartbreaking, yet inspiring at the same time. They're such fighters, they're my heros, Aidan is my hero! No cape, no mask, no superpowers.
17 Year Crabber!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

Cancer does suck! Being at St. Jude was a life altering experience for me. I will never be the same again. It was a whole world of very sick children. Yet these children were the most inspiring, courageous, remarkable, (and yes, smiley) children I've ever met. They taught me so much about life, love and what is important in this world. Rylee doesn't remember her time fighting cancer and I'm glad, but it will always be with me. I still worry all the time, have bad dreams, dread doctor appointments, but I hope the lessons I learned stay with me. I don't think people realize how common childhood cancer is. I guess it is one of those things you don't want to think about until it happens to your family. I don't know why some children earn their wings while others recover. I agree with you that things happen for a reason. Rylee also has Down syndrome and she's blazing trails here in MO showing people that she is more like them than different, so maybe her journey was to do that. It still breaks my heart every time I hear of a family going through childhood cancer. I do pray your family finds peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 1,020gl Homemade Crabitat-*Pics on pg 2*

Post by kip.rogers357 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Here are some pics!

This was the process of water proofing and attaching plastic to help further prevent mold and ensure proper humidity

I added black weed fabric (same for false bottom) to the back and sides just to make it more "cave like" and I measured the placement of this artificial plant.

This is when the background was added

Final fitting of the plant before adding substrate.

With the doors...all you can really see is the reflection of everything :-/ sorry

What you see on the right hand side at substrate level is a Rubbermaid tote, I have my electrical stuff like a powerstrip, air pumps, humidifier and all that good stuff in there. I coated the lid in Great Stuff and will serve as a place for two small water dishes, and a moss pit.

More detailed pics will come soon!
17 Year Crabber!