1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 1,020gl Crabitat

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:46 pm

MgnB wrote:Oh yes. It's the best thing ever. In my crab world that is. Also I can see my kids in the glass reflections. Two birds One stone. BAM
Haha nice, well that's good!

Just a quick update! I'll start moving into my new house next week. I'm still working with my uncle on getting things in order for building the crab room, which will actually be a green house but we're still working out all of the details. :D It's exciting!
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:48 pm

kip.rogers357 wrote:Just a quick update! I'll start moving into my new house next week. I'm still working with my uncle on getting things in order for building the crab room, which will actually be a green house but we're still working out all of the details. :D It's exciting!
That's very exciting. CONGRATS. I can't wait to hear about the move.

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:48 pm

kip.rogers357 wrote:Just a quick update! I'll start moving into my new house next week. I'm still working with my uncle on getting things in order for building the crab room, which will actually be a green house but we're still working out all of the details. :D It's exciting!
That's very exciting. CONGRATS. I can't wait to hear about the move.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:08 pm

A crab house! That's the tat o me dreams!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:09 pm

A crab house! That's the tat o me dreams!!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:05 am

YYWW wrote:A crab house! That's the tat o me dreams!! Image

Our hearts are all a flutter!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:06 am

Ryry wrote: Our hearts are all a flutter!
Kip should be on TV with that tat! Image

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 am

YYWW wrote:
Kip should be on TV with that tat! Image

Ohhh I agree!!!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:42 pm

MgnB wrote: That's very exciting. CONGRATS. I can't wait to hear about the move.
Thank you! It is very exciting!
.......and stressful!
YYWW wrote: Kip should be on TV with that tat!
Haha I always pictured a giant walk-in crab room, now it's really happening! It's the tat of my dreams too! Crab House! I love it, I think that's what i'll call it, The Crab House!
Ryry wrote: Ohhh I agree!!!
I'd love to be on TV, but i'll probably end up on an episode of Hoarding :oops:

So I'm trying to decide what to do with the crabs in the meantime.
I won't have the funds for the Crab House until the 21st, plus by the time we get it built and get the substrate basin insulated, it'll be a few days. I also want to make sure that the temperature and humidity are stable before putting the crabs in, and of course make sure that the misting system and climbing walls are good to go. So they won't be in the Crab House until some time in December.
In the meantime they'll be divided up into three of the largest rubbermaid storage bins I could find (i think they're 55 or 75 gallons, not too sure) and any molters will be placed in ISO (my old 217gl).
I'm just not sure whether to use sand or moss as their substrate. I also don't know if I should do the minimum 6" or deeper substrate. They'll only be in for (hopefully) no more than a month.
Any suggestions?
17 Year Crabber!

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:26 am

Oh mercy am I dreaming?? It's 3:30am I must be dreaming... If I'm not then *crabbie fangirl squeal*!! I've always talked about a crab room, oh my, my bf would just stare at me with dread like "please don't turn our first house into a crabbing zoo".

Hermie mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Bruiser, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Just thought i'd give a quick update!

Unfortunately I have not been able to finish the crab room, it all actually came to a stop when I became the Assistant Manager at work. I also have not put the 1,020gl back together, i'm a slacker.
Just yesterday, I (temporarily) moved the crabs into the 217gl which I was afraid might be overcrowded, but with the 4 additional substrate bins, all the crabs appear to be doing just fine. Of course it's only been one day and I really don't recommend that anyone keep so many crabs in such a small space but due to my current situation, it's what I had to do and they'll only be in there for a month at the most.
I had originally split them up into totes but I was worried that they would be stressed from the lack of deep substrate and climbing toys that they are accustomed to. Plus the water bowls were becoming a hassle trying to keep them clean without my usual setup.
I stripped the 1,020gl and found that the majority of the crabs were out and about. I only found 10 that were buried, 6 of which were molting, three which had finished molting (based on their color and exo found with them) and one E who was just digging around (which she loves to do and spends 80% of the time doing).
I found 13 empty shells that were buried and packed with sand, which unfortunately may have been crabs that didn't make it because after the headcount I only had 83 crabs. :-( I hate to admit it but I'm afraid that my burrowing E may be the cause of that as she had previously attacked a molter (who luckily managed to live, with only a mangled big pincher).
I lost all but one of my violas, 1 ruggie, and several PP's (all on the small side except for one). I'm still short one crab though and I cannot figure out what happened, unless I miscounted.
Once my work schedule clears up (i'm working on becoming general manager for the hotel I work for), sometime in late Feb/early March, I will be setting up the 1,020gl, i'm working on fixing the few issues that I had with it. I figured it'd just be easier than going through the hassle of working on the perfect crab room. I already know how to maintain the proper heat and humidity so no worries there. I still plan on adding the elevated substrate shelf around the side and back walls (discussed in an earlier post) and will be making the moss pits permanent to prevent them from falling or becoming lob-sided when the crabs pinch through the twine.
I'll post a picture of the 217gl before the end of the week, i promise! And I'll keep you all posted when I get the 1,020gl all set up.
Thank you all again for the support! and thanks to those who nominated me for the admin stuff here at HCA, unfortunately I read the email a little late and missed the deadline :-/ I really appreciate it though! I would've loved to be a part of that, especially after being here for over 10 years!
Last edited by kip.rogers357 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 Year Crabber!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Sorry for your losses But with your huge number, losses seem normal.. Hope you can quell your lil tunneler's blood lust
Congrats on the good things at work, though! Becoming GM would be NOICE!
Wish you the best!!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:23 pm

YYWW wrote:Sorry for your losses Image But with your huge number, losses seem normal.. Hope you can quell your lil tunneler's blood lust Image
Congrats on the good things at work, though! Becoming GM would be NOICE!
Wish you the best!!

Crabbers unite!!!
Thank you, it is upsetting, especially losing the violas but they were in rough shape and dug down immediately so perhaps they just dug down to die due to the conditions they were in prior to coming home with me. You're right though, with nine thousand crabs it does seem natural. We don't exactly know what they die-off is like in the wild.
I'm really hoping that they died naturally and weren't attacked by that E or any other crab. I just think it's odd that there were no crab remains in any of those shells except for one, and even then I'm not entirely sure if it was a crab or just sand molded together.
Thank you! Becoming GM would definitely be awesome! I love working in the hotel industry and have always dreamed of owning my own some day! I guess managing one will suffice! :lol: I'm so thankful for what my boss has taught me and done for me, she's incredible!
17 Year Crabber!

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

Post by kip.rogers357 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Hello everyone, I figured I would come in and give a quick update on the status of the new build, which up until recently hadn't been decided yet.
I apologize for not being on so often, or at all. In March my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and it's been rough having to go through all of that again after having the experience with my nephew. Weekly doctors appointments are rough! My mom appears to be responding well to chemotherapy and we're staying hopefully that we can get through this. Our nephew taught us a lot during his battle with cancer and we're hoping to be prepared for whatever may come.

So I've been thinking and thinking about what I could do for the hermit crabs and it's going to be quite a crabitat!!! I will post more details when I have the time after I get home!
I will keep you all posted when I get the time, probably in a separate post. Building starts today! Enjoy!
17 Year Crabber!

soilentgringa

Re: 1,020gl Crabitat *New Crabitat Update

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Hey you have nothing to apologize for! My mom is a cancer survivor as well. Stay strong! My thoughts are with you. Am excited to see this new tat!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk