Maybe starting a leopard gecko breeding project next year

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Maybe starting a leopard gecko breeding project next yea

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Crickets shouldn't be released period - they carry a lot of insect parasites and diseases and it could threaten local populations.

The common brown crickets never survive more than a week at my house, they all end up twitching on their backs within a few days. The tropical banded ones however have lasted for over two months and they are known to be resistant to at least one cricket virus. I stick with those now and am much happier for it. Both have happily hatched babies in my enclosures as well. My African Fat Tailed Blaze absolutely loves it when he has little ones to hunt. My leos never bother. :lol:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Maybe starting a leopard gecko breeding project next yea

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 pm

I feel terrible now...I never thought about them having a virus...or there being more than one type of cricket...(which is really silly)...but it was years ago...and it is what it is. We still have plenty of crickets around here, so I hopefully I didn't mess up the environment too bad.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com