Birgus Latro for sale?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Big Birgus

Birgus Latro for sale?

Post by Big Birgus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:59 pm

I agree it sounds crazy but my little kid in me really wants to try! I've seen some on trading places like bulk quantities so maybe we could all buy one? Lol. They're not endangered so I don't see why I can't find ANY especially with them being here in the past (US) like come on. With these people and their suppliers there's got to be one that can get one in these places! A special order? I plan in the near future to have a giant place dedicated to one or a couple if I could.
I don't rob people!

kieagcarm

Re: Birgus Latro for sale?

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 pm

What exactly is it?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Birgus latro are the other land hermit crabs.

See, most hermit crabs are aquatic... but there are two genuses of land hermits. The tiny Coenobita species that we all dote on... and their bigger cousins in genus Birgus... called robber or coconut crabs. There's only one species in the Birgus genus, and it is latro. They are known for stealing things. Especially shiney things. They are awesome and crazy.

This is what they look like:

They do have shells when young and little, but they stop using gastropod shells once fully embigified, due to no snails wanting to make shells that flipping big. Consequently their abdomens harden up once they mature, unlike our squishy-butted friends.

12/10. Would totally pet. :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 am

That's the scariest, ugliest thing I ever saw. It looks nothing like my cuties, thank the Lord above, or I would be terrified off entering my own room

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:53 am

I know that a crabber in germany had a small one (around the size of a dinner plate) in a large tank (excess of 200g if i remember correctly). And if anything, they would have/had to upgrade in a few years anyway.
IMO, these things should never be kept as pets unless you're willing to provide. They are an active and (highly... in comparison to hermit crabs) and need a large room to be kept happy IMO. They are strong enough to bend wire, so all decor and accessories must be suitable that they would completely ruin it in 5 seconds.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Not trying to sound rude, but these should be one of the numerous animals that should just stay in zoos or the wild... And many crabbers here aren't as willing to convert an entire room - or if they live in a suitable environment, outdoor cage - for a large, needy (heating and humidifying an entire room = not cheap).... Plus in many areas they have become extinct, and even though there is no formal data - with evidence - I imagine that population is declining and highly vulnerable.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 am

AussieJJDude - agreed. Keeping one seems crazy.

Kiagcarm - awwww... he's not ugly! He just wants love. And garbage. :lol:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:46 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote: See, most hermit crabs are aquatic... but there are two genuses of land hermits. The tiny Coenobita species that we all dote on... and their bigger cousins in genus Birgus... called robber or coconut crabs. There's only one species in the Birgus genus, and it is latro. They are known for stealing things. Especially shiney things. They are awesome and crazy.

They do have shells when young and little, but they stop using gastropod shells once fully embigified, due to no snails wanting to make shells that flipping big. Consequently their abdomens harden up once they mature, unlike our squishy-butted friends.
I noticed that they look just like our little guys but bigger and without shells, thanks for the information!
aussieJJDude wrote: Not trying to sound rude, but these should be one of the numerous animals that should just stay in zoos or the wild... And many crabbers here aren't as willing to convert an entire room - or if they live in a suitable environment, outdoor cage - for a large, needy (heating and humidifying an entire room = not cheap).... Plus in many areas they have become extinct, and even though there is no formal data - with evidence - I imagine that population is declining and highly vulnerable.
I completely agree!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Big Birgus

Post by Big Birgus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:14 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I know that a crabber in germany had a small one (around the size of a dinner plate) in a large tank (excess of 200g if i remember correctly). And if anything, they would have/had to upgrade in a few years anyway.
IMO, these things should never be kept as pets unless you're willing to provide. They are an active and (highly... in comparison to hermit crabs) and need a large room to be kept happy IMO. They are strong enough to bend wire, so all decor and accessories must be suitable that they would completely ruin it in 5 seconds.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Not trying to sound rude, but these should be one of the numerous animals that should just stay in zoos or the wild... And many crabbers here aren't as willing to convert an entire room - or if they live in a suitable environment, outdoor cage - for a large, needy (heating and humidifying an entire room = not cheap).... Plus in many areas they have become extinct, and even though there is no formal data - with evidence - I imagine that population is declining and highly vulnerable.

I agree I guess :( lol just the little kid in me wants it to happen hahaha. And trust me I would never take something on just to keep it alive but unhappy, I'd put so much effort into it.
I don't rob people!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Even though I never encountered wild B.latro, from recordings they have a similar personality that our little friends have. If your still got your heart set on them, I would suggest keeping PP's or if you can source them, Indonesians (come from the same region, but also Indo's are rather "chunky".) Both of these animals have the bulk, but on a miniature and more manageable scale. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Indos are wonderful! I found this old post where there's an indo sitting next to a coconut crab???
Source: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=73572
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Yeah, its an image that goes around google quite a bit. If anyone could find the original source, then it might give Big Birgus a bit of research to see if his dream is feasible and potentially offer some tips.
NM, found it: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/sh ... (Crabitat)

I know a few years ago, Triops Germany was selling them. Not sure if you want/can to ship the US, but they certainly are available in some markets. (I would highly reccomend not to ship regardless!)

~~~~
Stumbled across this, you may be interested!
Basic anatomy - (worthy to include IMO) http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46214

Orin

Post by Orin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 am

aussieJJDude wrote:.... Plus in many areas they have become extinct, and even though there is no formal data - with evidence - I imagine that population is declining and highly vulnerable.
I'm pretty sure all evidence is that people have been eating them into extinction in many areas. I am 100% sure keeping them as pets has no effect on their populations anywhere. However, they are also killed and sold as curios and their habitats and access to beaches are taken over by man in many areas. Of course a keeper should be more than aware that this is not a casual pet and finding one available in the US is probably not going to happen.

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:47 pm

kieagcarm wrote:What exactly is it?

The coconut crab is the hermit crab's cousin - the big bad one which doesn't need a shell.

It is illegal to import them into the US.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:48 pm

And if you want to see them in the wild, visit Guam.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Orin wrote:I'm pretty sure all evidence is that people have been eating them into extinction in many areas. I am 100% sure keeping them as pets has no effect on their populations anywhere. However, they are also killed and sold as curios and their habitats and access to beaches are taken over by man in many areas. Of course a keeper should be more than aware that this is not a casual pet and finding one available in the US is probably not going to happen.
Eating them into extinction IMO doesn't count as evidence, its really an assumption. Regardless, we can probably all agree on that the wild populations numbers are dropping fast!