Birgus Latro for sale?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Emm33333

Re: Birgus Latro for sale?

Post by Emm33333 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:38 pm

kieagcarm wrote:That's the scariest, ugliest thing I ever saw. It looks nothing like my cuties, thank the Lord above, or I would be terrified off entering my own room

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
Lol. I couldn't have put it better my self [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
2 PP's, CrabCakes and Odka (10g, 29g)
Soon to be owner of six adoptees and a 75g with all supplies!
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 am

Emm33333 wrote:
kieagcarm wrote:That's the scariest, ugliest thing I ever saw. It looks nothing like my cuties, thank the Lord above, or I would be terrified off entering my own room

Lol. I couldn't have put it better my self [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OMG guys! I am glad no robber crabs can hear you - their feelings would be hurt.

"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Orin

Post by Orin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

aussieJJDude wrote: Eating them into extinction IMO doesn't count as evidence, its really an assumption. Regardless, we can probably all agree on that the wild populations numbers are dropping fast!
Habitat loss is blamed in addition to human consumption, but which is more damaging is not easy to prove. Either way that red herring does not change the point I made.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 am

I know this is an older topic, but:

Depending on which state you live in, it is illegal to import birgus latro. I've been told that it is a federal law that they cannot be imported into the U.S., however my google fu must be lacking as I cannot find specific citation of this tonight.

Some states require special permits to own exotic species, and birgus latro are considered to be invasive. I know that in Hawaii, owning one can earn you some jail time and a fine of around $200,000.

Last year, a German hermit crab vendor (who is banned from this group) sold a coconut crab to a teenage HCA member for 500 euro, after his father applied for a permit from their state. They waited for months for the crab to be shipped to them, and when he finally received it, he posted pics all over our FB pages. The crab in the photos was a purple pincher.

Considering the amount of space, size, and depth of substrate they would need to pull off successful molts, keeping a birgus latro in captivity would be, IMO, cruel and potentially dangerous. If a good size PP can break a pencil in half with it's claws, imagine the damage a coconut crab could do to your toes or other household pets.

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

Wow. He looks .... too big to have as a pet!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.
Little Dora(PP hermie) passed on 7/7/2017

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 pm

No thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:34 am

C_fiesta wrote:No thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
My thoughts also! My sister in law was stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and told me stories of animals walking into the hospital ER on base. They included chickens & crabs! One was caught in a door and she successfully was able to free him. He was big, but not the size of that one on the trash can in the photo!
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.
Little Dora(PP hermie) passed on 7/7/2017

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 am

Okay... so the thing about that picture is, it isn't a normal sized garbage can, it's a small one.
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Okay... so the thing about that picture is, it isn't a normal sized garbage can, it's a small one.
They're still ginormous tho, lol.ImageImage

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Is that Brian Cox?

Topic author
Big Birgus

Post by Big Birgus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Nate the great wrote:
kieagcarm wrote:What exactly is it?

The coconut crab is the hermit crab's cousin - the big bad one which doesn't need a shell.

It is illegal to import them into the US.
Where do you get the information they are illegal to import?
I've seen threatened animals in pet stores and while it may be illegal for that, I cannot find any information saying data defiecent animals are illegal...
I don't rob people!

Topic author
Big Birgus

Post by Big Birgus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you all for the input! Any updates would be appreciated. Love this community :)
I don't rob people!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 am

Big Birgus wrote:
Nate the great wrote:
kieagcarm wrote:What exactly is it?

The coconut crab is the hermit crab's cousin - the big bad one which doesn't need a shell.

It is illegal to import them into the US.
I've seen threatened animals in pet stores and while it may be illegal for that, I cannot find any information saying data defiecent animals are illegal...
They're considered an invasive species and in places like Hawaii, you can face jail time for importing them.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Big Birgus

Post by Big Birgus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 pm

I've seen threatened animals in pet stores and while it may be illegal for that, I cannot find any information saying data defiecent animals are illegal...[/quote]They're considered an invasive species and in places like Hawaii, you can face jail time for importing them.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk[/quote]
In Hawaii you can't even own regular hermit crabs lol it's not invasive as it has no known strongholds there. Hermit crabs aren't allowed there because they would be able to easily make a home.
I don't rob people!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure you can import them to the US as a food animal. States may have their own restrictions past that. They have not been listed as endangered yet, but their population had tanked in recent years.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram