Diurnal vs nocturnal species

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
HomeInTheShell

Diurnal vs nocturnal species

Post by HomeInTheShell » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

Is there a general guideline that helps with determining if a rarely kept species is diurnal or nocturnal on advance? Do nocturnal species have any advantages that diurnal crabs lack? Two crab species I'm interested in are Discoplax magna and Perisesarma eumolpe. In my understanding the former is nocturnal and the latter diurnal.

Chocobo

Re: Diurnal vs nocturnal species

Post by Chocobo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:50 pm

All crabs are nocturnal, but some individuals might be awake during the day for any given reason.
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:11 am

Not all crabs are nocturnal, in fact a good amount are actually crepuscular.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 pm

I found them (purple pinchers) being more active during day in the warm/hot summer months, and coming out later during night in the winter.
In July and August, I often saw them running around as soon as 4pm, occasionally earlier, while in the winter, I often see none before 9 pm or even later.

(The temperatures were not too hot in the summer or too low in the winter. It was also not the case that during winter it's colder during the day and in the evening we would switch the heater on - no, quite constant temp over the day, just about 5 degrees warmer during summer. Location was Southern California.
Having pets who are nocturnal was quite nice for me as usually I stay up late being at home while working on my computer, reading and such stuff.
I write "was" as currently I'm not a hermit crab owner.)