Chickens! And a bunny

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Chickens! And a bunny

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 am

Ok so obviously I’m far from the first or only person to keep chickens. However, I sure do love my little chickens! I have learned ever so much about them recently, read several books etc- bc in this regard they’re a lot like crabs and I have no vet to take them to. All I can do is learn as much as possible and hope I know what to do when the time comes. So, again, a lot like keeping crabs! Image Anyway, I wanted to share some pics w you all, as I know you’re all animal lovers too.
This is Checkers and Penn, their first day sitting in a tree. (I put them there but they love it.)

Well, I’ll edit and add the pics in a bit, for right now it is NOT cooperating. Idk how the one pic made it thru on the one try when none others will. Thanks Tapatalk! Image Also, this is independent of WiFi or cell issues, I have tried each. So- here are my least attractive chickens! Ha. Good layers, but they’re just black chickens, not too exciting there. All my others are more interesting. Oh well. You will see soooooon. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chickens! And a bunny

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 am

Congratulations! They are cute! My friend has chickens and they are lovely!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Aw I'm so jealous!!! They are so cute!! I've always wanted chickens. I even have a magazine about keeping chickens, and I don't own any LOL. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Gorgeous! When I was younger we had 4 chickens and raised chicks. Every sunday morning we had tons of eggs :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Overmountain1

Chickens! And a bunny

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:51 am

Ok y’all! Firstly- THANK YOU!

We really have been loving every bit of having them. They’re hilarious too. They kinda remind me of crabs sometimes in their curious clumsiness.... maybe that’s weird but they do! Hehehe I’m gonna try again here!!

So you did get to see the two black Australorps we have in the previous post. That’s why I’m skipping them now. The gremlins must be asleep tonight cause it’s letting me!!
Ok and it’s pic heavy so I’m gonna split it so they’ll load more easily too. This is our tiny little bantam rooster, Chip. He’s my baby boy tho, and totally rotten. He rides my shoulder like he’s a pirate chicken. Oh- and he’s also partial to sunbathing.... Image
Yay! Yeah, oh well with anonymity here for me. Doesn’t bother me anyway. Image

And second is Miss Jackie/ Jackie O cause she’s super fancy and prissy. (And sweet as sugar too.)

And here we have the rarely seen head chickens....!!!! Hahaha- the big black one is also my ‘baby’ and her? name is Quack. She’s sorta pretending to crow but I think she’s only doing it bc she hears Chip in the morn! We shall see. She’s rotten and still thinks she’s a wee chicky! The other two are the Wyandotte’s, I believe it is Neigh and Moo, and lastly- the big girls all piled on my lap at once somehow. (Quack, Neigh, Moo, and Oink.) They’re all hand raised and act more like pets than anything. They come to their own names which surprised me that they would learn so quickly! So- I finally got to share my kitchens!! I mean chickens! Ha ha kidding. Just what we call them.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:37 am

Adorable :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:Ok y’all! Firstly- THANK YOU!

We really have been loving every bit of having them. They’re hilarious too. They kinda remind me of crabs sometimes in their curious clumsiness.... maybe that’s weird but they do! Hehehe I’m gonna try again here!!

So you did get to see the two black Australorps we have in the previous post. That’s why I’m skipping them now. The gremlins must be asleep tonight cause it’s letting me!!
Ok and it’s pic heavy so I’m gonna split it so they’ll load more easily too. This is our tiny little bantam rooster, Chip. He’s my baby boy tho, and totally rotten. He rides my shoulder like he’s a pirate chicken. Oh- and he’s also partial to sunbathing.... Image
Yay! Yeah, oh well with anonymity here for me. Doesn’t bother me anyway. Image

And second is Miss Jackie/ Jackie O cause she’s super fancy and prissy. (And sweet as sugar too.)

And here we have the rarely seen head chickens....!!!! Hahaha- the big black one is also my ‘baby’ and her? name is Quack. She’s sorta pretending to crow but I think she’s only doing it bc she hears Chip in the morn! We shall see. She’s rotten and still thinks she’s a wee chicky! The other two are the Wyandotte’s, I believe it is Neigh and Moo, and lastly- the big girls all piled on my lap at once somehow. (Quack, Neigh, Moo, and Oink.) They’re all hand raised and act more like pets than anything. They come to their own names which surprised me that they would learn so quickly! So- I finally got to share my kitchens!! I mean chickens! Ha ha kidding. Just what we call them.

Wish I lived nearby, I'd be over to hug and squeeze those chickens all the time haha!!! They look like so much fun! Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Overmountain1

Chickens! And a bunny

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Edit here: we got 4/8 that are roosters. Quack, Chip, and both other of the black Australorps. Those last two are being rehomed today. (Sunday 21st- or tomorrow at worst.)

Awww thanks y’all! Chip is rotten lol. I am having a custom chicken diaper made for him, as well as a tiny harness and leash. (And yes I’m 99% sure he will take no issue with any of this) and he is going to come with me everywhere Bc he is my emotional support rooster. Wanna know why? Cause I can let HIM yell at ppl instead- all I have to ask is “Hey Chippy! Will you crow for me?!” And he does. Hehehehe I can’t wait. And yes, I am serious. And I’m NOT doing it as a joke toward anyone else or anything of the sort, I’m not that kind of person. But I will take full advantage of the rules that are being bent and/or changed!! Image So since Princess isn’t up for trips to the store crawling all over me, we will bring the Chip instead. Image

See? She likes to ride around some too! Image
But my chip- he’s just incredibly friendly, tame, and laid back. He’s eating a strawberry here.

And here is our large sized roo that gets to also stay w us, Quack. Quack was my special little baby chick I bonded with. They talked me out of saying he was a boy from the beginning, but iI was right in the end. Image Strutting his stuff here lol...

Now, my next reply I’m going to address the bunny- Slinky Bun! He was so super tiny.... just a lil tease for now. Image

Last edited by Overmountain1 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:16 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:Wish I lived nearby, I'd be over to hug and squeeze those chickens all the time haha!!! They look like so much fun! Image

Oh I’d totally let you- and so would the littles at least! Lol. They’re much more tolerant.... but yeah it’s rly hard not to run out and grab one to hang out w me for a bit! Lol- chicken diapers.... I get it now. Image

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am

Here’s the ‘and a bunny!’ Kind of a long one but here’s the full story of why we had a wild bunny in our care at all cause we normally would not keep one- even overnight!
So, we have deep window wells and live semi-rurally; big field behind the house etc. There are a LOT of rabbits, which I always love. Each year one or two littles will find their way into a window well before they can quite jump out. We usually get to enjoy them for a minute before releasing them- a quick pet etc. Usually not a big deal,- we keep watch, and generally the mom can jump them out herself if need be anyway, except maybe one of the windows. But also, our car alerts us immediately from inside the house if we don’t see it first! When it happens we will set them over in the thick cover beside the porch but somewhat close to the original space so they can use either and mom can find them later. (I will add here that the reason we move them at all is due to some neighborhood cats. Most are gone now but they’re just trapped if one came along in that instance so we do remove them.)
Well, the day we found Slinky we had been scaring up baby buns all over. Literally. We are caring for the vacant house next door until newest owners close on it etc. and we have two lots ourselves- plus two other neighbors had been mowing that day. They were, quite literally, running all over the place!

So, my husband thought he saw a little one when he started w the weed eater in front of our place (away from where most usually are,) and then didn’t see anything. Til he fired it up again. This poor tiny thing took off like a shot- straight into the brick wall. Then fell into the window well. On top of a toad. Which croaked at the poor thing. (I swear I couldn’t even make this one up guys!! It’s so funny how it happened except kinda not of course- lol!)
Obviously this scared him even worse- by, like, a mile if that’s possible, and caused little Slinky to ping pong around in there a few good times- which means running head first at Mach 10 into glass and metal sides and so after all this, my hubby finally catches him. He’s to the point of hysteria and verging on bunny heart attack (we used to keep rabbits as pets also) and knew instinctively he HAD to get calm. (We did, after a few minutes.)
Well, then we realize he’s all bloody on his face too- he had busted his nose and also cut his lip, and was generally dazed, with a fairly sore patch on his nose/forehead. As dark was coming up on us at this point we didn’t want to let this TINY bloody bunny run loose hysterically. (One who also has a white patch on his forehead, and a dark patch closer to his nose- the white kinda ruins it for him sometimes!.) That’s just asking for a disaster tho. So we used the tote our chickens had just used with a towel and set him out and watched for mom.
Mom never showed that night, or the next, and we tried from 8pm-7am the first night, and 7:30pm- midnight or so, and again from say 3:30-7:30 the next. So anyway, no luck w mom, for whatever reason, but thankfully he was (BARELY) old enough to eat regular bunny food- and I discovered he is a blackberry devourer! Lol- he had lots of fresh greens along with some berries and my homegrown strawberries and leaves- he ate like a king and would cuddle in my robe for an hour or so each day, and let us let him from time to time. We were as respectful of his moods as we could be, if he acted freaked out or something we just let him be, that kind of thing. It was so hard tho cause he’s so dang cute!!. After the third night he finally was back to acting like a little wild bun should, and so we released him down and away from the house around 6:30 in the eve so he had some time to find a good spot- or mom!
He was SOOO tiny when he was with us guys. We are talking this may have even been his first day away from mom or got scared away, idk, but he wasn’t long from having been on moms milk which would’ve made it oh so much more complicated. Our final assessment was he did actually give himself a little bunny-cussion that took him a couple days to heal from. Our combined experiences mean that’s a very educated guess tho not professional obvs!

Guess what? He now has decided he likes us best after all and lives under the porch! Image I was so thrilled to spot him dancing on my porch a few days ago, during the daylight too, silly thing. He got the name Slinky bc he would let us slide our hands under him but it always wound up half and half, front to back, and he would let us move him out and back raise and lower either half, just like a Slinky. Image He was a sweetie tho.

K here we go with the bun pics too- I’ll share my favorites, thankfully we only had him those 3 days or so or there would be too many to share!! (We let him out in the bathroom a couple times to change the bottom to aspen chips and to let him explore a bit so he knew more of where he was. Little darling loved to hide in the clothes, that’s him sitting at my sons knee in the one pic. Look at those itty bitty paws! Oh my Image!)Image

Topic author
Overmountain1

Chickens! And a bunny

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:35 am

So that was then. And here’s now! Look! He’s got some pudge on him now! I left him blackberries again the first night and he def found those! Ha! He likes he cubby w the sand? Idk.

*edit to add a collection more clear ones. They didn’t pull up immediately? Who knows. Enjoy The Slink! ImageImage
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:46 am

Aw big hugs to Slinky! I hope he's enjoying the wild life!