African Dwarf frog

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Hermielover121

African Dwarf frog

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

So this is about my ADF. So I got my adf a while ago and he croaks non stop at night and I wanted to try to make him happy by adding in my sisters female ADF but they started fighting and I had to separate them. I thought they would be happy but I guess not? Do u think adding another frog would be good or would it end up in fighting again? Is there a way to insulate his 5 gallon tank? I want him to stop croaking so I can put him in my room. ( his name is toad ) lol I know he is a frog but I call him a toad. any suggestions on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: African Dwarf frog

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm

An ADF, that's the little guys that live under water right? I didn't realize they made any sound. Image I was looking at a care sheet, and it says they are social and do best in small groups, like 2-3.

https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/african-dwarf-frog/

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Yep they live in water and there noises are VERY loud. I just saw that a couple of days ago and I did not now that they had to be with others. I think I need a bigger tank to put them both in. Thanks

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:30 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:Yep they live in water and there noises are VERY loud. I just saw that a couple of days ago and I did not now that they had to be with others. I think I need a bigger tank to put them both in. Thanks

Oh wow, I didn't realize they could be loud like that. Image
I also just read, that African Clawed Frogs are commonly mislabeled and sold as ADF. The ACF are much more agressive than the ADF. I wonder if that's the cause of the 2 frogs fighting in your aquarium? The care sheet says the dwarf frogs are generally peaceful. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Yes I read that too but ours are definitely ADFs since I have checked the traits of both. I think it’s because they have been living on there own for so long and if I were to put them together I would probably need to upgrade since the minimum is 10 gall and a only have 5 gall each. Thanks for all your help

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:42 pm

No problem. Hopefully you can try for a buddy for Toad again when you upgrade.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 pm

FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:00 am

Maybe if you got them a bigger tank than required (10 or 20 gallon maybe) and added a few more places to hide then they might get along better because they can choose to have time to themselves. You could also try something that I do if I have aggressive fish. I put a smaller tank or even a vase upside down in the main tank, this way they can see eachother and get used to each other for a few days meeting each other outside of the vase. You may need to modify this a little because it's frogs, not fish.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:05 am

Yep I definitely need to get a bigger tank I feel bad that I have kept them in 5 gall. I wanted to put them in the 10 that used to be for my hermit crabs but it has a crack in it so I got to go get a different one. Thanks for the idea with the jar I think with some adjustments I can do that