Mixing Land Hermits with Fiddler crabs

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

Mixing Land Hermits with Fiddler crabs

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:13 pm

Just curious if you could mix fiddler crabs with hermit crabs. My new 55 gallon tank and a pool area with water fall and was wondering if i could put a few fidleer crabs in there?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:19 pm

I wouldn't do it, but I have never had fiddlers so I dont know. There was a post earlier on this, i don't remember what the answer was though.

Topic author
kayla_d

Post by kayla_d » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Sara does it with no problem. When I tried it in my 40 Breeder tank the fiddler attacked one of my small micro's. The fiddler attached itself to the shell and was rolling the hermit around and trying to reach into the shell. I had a heck of a time getting the fiddler detached from the hermits shell.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:10 pm

:shock: that's horrible!

Topic author

Re: Mixing

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:10 pm

GiGa wrote:Just curious if you could mix fiddler crabs with hermit crabs. My new 55 gallon tank and a pool area with water fall and was wondering if i could put a few fidleer crabs in there?
Fiddler crabs need a fairly significant pool to be happy. Right now ours have a little over half of the 10 gallon in 2-3 inch deep water. They spend a lot of time under water.

I don't think I'd put them with the hermit crabs.

Topic author

alrighty

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:12 pm

I have all large Hermit crabs so it wouldn't be any problem there but I guess I wont stick a fidler crab or two in there. I was think about some very tiny fish but I didn't really want the water to get all nasty(even though it has a filter system). Any other ideas about what can co-live with hermies. I want something else to get a more natural nature look??

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:39 am

You could try something that might live it a tidepool like snails, thqat way, if the snails die, the crabs can have the shells.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:43 am

Crickets and ladybugs :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Do the crickets you get at the pet store chirp like the big black ones you find outside? Or do they do something so they don't keep pet owners up all night?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 pm

Crickets? Why would you do that? I want to do that! What do I feed them?
I used to buy crickets a lot for a gecko, so I'm used to them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am

It's just funny because someone tried to feed the crabs a live cricket and the cricket ended up becoming a permanent tank mate :lol: !

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 pm

atat9 wrote:Do the crickets you get at the pet store chirp like the big black ones you find outside? Or do they do something so they don't keep pet owners up all night?
Nope, if you get a male cricket from the pet store, they'll chirp. It really isn't all that bad, compared to the noises hermies can make.
Crickets? Why would you do that? I want to do that! What do I feed them?
I used to buy crickets a lot for a gecko, so I'm used to them.

If you add some into your crabitat you cricket should do just fine sharing food with your hermies :wink: I get crickets for my gecko too, so I might have to give my crabbies a new roomie too.

Topic author

lol

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:00 pm

Well Crikets are really not my thing. There just kinda ugly and I don't think they look good in my tank. Plus they end up drowning if the pond area