Marine hermits

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

Marine hermits

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:17 pm

The pet store down the street has micro marine hermits that are so adorable! Every time I see the little boogers it makes me wish I had the time, money and ability to maintain a saltwater habitat :(. Oh well, I can dream....

On a side note, does anyone here actually own marine hermits?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:46 am

Aww, I love marine hermit crabs!!!!!!!! :D Your so lucky to have found some at a petstore, even if you couldn't get them because I have NEVER seen any petstore sell them in my life!!!! :shock: Maybe someday you'll be able to afford a salt water habbitat!!! I know my parents would never be able to afford a salt water habbitat, but it is nice to dream. I think I'm a little more in to land hermies, but ever since I saw an aquarium at the Carnegie Science Center with marine hermies, I began to fall for them!!! :P I was soooooooo excited when I saw them there!!!! I think I saw about three or four of them hidding in the coral and rock crevases in the tank. They are really soooooo tiny, the one I saw were about the size of a micro land hermie and they had such a beautiful bright red color and bright blue eyes!!!!! Don't marine hermit crabs have the most wonderful colors? To be honest, I used to think they were rather homely next to land hermit crabs (except for their colors), but now, I think they are just as cute as land hermies!!!! Hermit crabs always seem to have this special charm!!! You just have to love them, marine or land!!!!! :wink: Your so lucky!!! What color were the ones you saw, Crow?

Topic author
bettinacharlotta

Post by bettinacharlotta » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:59 am

Actually, a saltwater aquarium doesn't cost much more than having a freshwater aquarium. A lot of people keep micro-reef aquariums. They are usually 20 gallon or smaller saltwater aquariums. It can be a reef aquarium or fish only. A reef tank would be perfect for keeping crabs. You could leave out the fish completely and have a marine invertebrate tank. Here's some good examples of mini reef tanks, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 2004+62760

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:10 am

WOW!!!! That is a really nice salt water tank, bettinacharlotta!!! I'm suprised that fresh water tanks cost about the same as a salt water habitat!! Hmm... Crow, you may not have to dream forever now!!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Yep, it was a nice set up! I'll still have to hold off for a few more years though since I'm in university right now and staying in residence... too bad these rooms weren't any bigger :(

The marine hermits I saw were in varying shades of red and orange, very beautiful, and yes they did have the bright blue eyes! I think it's the eyes that really got me hooked on marine hermits, there's something so captivating about them.

Hmm, maybe in a few years I'll have to get a set up of my own!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:14 pm

I have had a 30 gallon saltwater tank (non-reef) for over a year now and have had dwarf blue legs and scarlet hermits. They are so sweet and fun to watch! I used to throw a raw chunk of fish in the tank for them and when it sank to the bottom you would see them just rushing from their hiding places, all throughout the tank, to eat it! They are really a lot of fun.

You could always set up a small 10 gallon SW tank just to keep some marine hermits in. The guys at work would make fun of me because the hermits and my starfish were the main reason I set up my tank (the things that most people would just use as cleaners!).

Sadly most of my blue legs have died. They molted frequently and grew very fast. Im not sure if they just have short life spans or what. I had so much fun finding shells for them. They got all the shells my land hermits outgrew. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:42 pm

I'm in the procces of setting a a small tide pool in my land hermits tank that will be 2-5g and cantaine 2-3 scarlet hermits. I've totaled up the cost to about $60-70. I should be putting the plan into action in the next coming weeks, I still need to decide on a good filter and areation system.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:35 am

I have that 12 Gal "Nano" And I Love it!
Sadly though, It just recently CRASHED! I dont know what Happened.
The only thing I can think of, Is, I added some Coral and Shells I found at a Beach in Naples FLA. The Coral I added was "Dead"? It was just the Skeleton/Shell. And the Shells were decomposing(Sorta) and Coral(Or the signs of) coral had tried to start a colony.

My Marine Hermies are still doing well though. But I am afraid I lost 1 Coral, some Plants and a Nice Clown.
Any Ideas from You folks who have experience with Marine Tanks?
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"