Fiddler Crabs

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 pm

I'll work on some more pics! (My girlfriend takes better pictures than me... I just tried to get some more and failed miserably. Something about the flash)

I have GOT to get a better system. I had yet another escape. After finding the female this morning I had a male get out. It's seriously a foot of smooth plastic. I don't know how in the world they're getting out. I think when I head home tomorrow I'm going to take my mom and just be like 'I rescued these poor crabs, and now I have no tank...' :sad5: haha. As a poor college student, this excuse often works.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:45 pm

I can't believe that they would glue bolts onto them to study them. It seems like they could have figured out a much better way of doing it. Are the bolts really thick? If not maybe you could trim them down so they could get around easier...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:55 pm

we've been trying to get them off, but the plastic is actually pretty thick. Nothing we have at the house will even make a dent in it. The only way to get them off is to carefully cut through the glue. I hope that we will figure something out though.

Topic author

Update

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 am

Yesterday evening the little female that we had named BB passed. She looked the worst when we got her, she was lethargic and really didn't want to eat or move. This morning I have two more that seem like they're on the verge. A female with a bolt still attached to her has lost all but 4 legs (both pinchers included) and a male that lost all but two legs on one side. I think the stress has just been too much for them. However one female with a bolt attached, and 3 males seems to be adjusting. I knew that it was very likely for them to die and that I was just providing a good environment for their last days, but that doesn't make it any easier at all. :(

annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:41 pm

its amazing that they ate all that food, they must have been very very hungry.

what you're doing is a TRUE rescue, even more kind hearted than when some of us crabbers take hermies home from bad store conditions. it just breaks my heart that some ignorant *scientist* could glue bolts on them and hurt their eyes. what is the purpose in that?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

You have the temporary home covered right? If not you need to find a cover as they are climbers as you have found. Perhaps set a book ontop the lid/cover for now and make sure none of the driftwood is near the edges of the tat.

Also, Id just leave them alone for now, they are adjusting to a new home, chances are they have already adjusted to the stress of hauling around those bolts and having thier eyes painted...let them be for now. I know you just want to help them, but you need to let them calm down from their quick home, environment, and diet changes.

Please make sure the water is filtered, they need oxygenated water. Also please check your water stats to make sure its brakish as fresh water will kill them eventually.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:19 am

Well, they had the bolts on for less than 4 hours. I really thought it best to try and get them off early, in the hopes that with the super glue being wet it hadn't had time to properly set yet. I haven't messed with them since that point, knowing that if they had gotten along after a day or two it would be more stress than necessary.

I bought a new aquarium today and ordered a few things from the crabbage patch (such as another hidey for the two that can still get in it). Otherwise I have four little ones left, with one more who looks like she may be on the verge since she has lost two of her pinchers.

There is one female still with a bolt, and two males without. They actually all seem really active and really seem to notice when I come around, i.e. they bolt for the water. I actually take this as a good sign. They are alive enough, even without their sight to know when I'm near.

Pictures will come as they make their transition into their more permanent home.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:19 am

Well, they had the bolts on for less than 4 hours. I really thought it best to try and get them off early, in the hopes that with the super glue being wet it hadn't had time to properly set yet. I haven't messed with them since that point, knowing that if they had gotten along after a day or two it would be more stress than necessary.

I bought a new aquarium today and ordered a few things from the crabbage patch (such as another hidey for the two that can still get in it). Otherwise I have four little ones left, with one more who looks like she may be on the verge since she has lost two of her pinchers.

There is one female still with a bolt, and two males without. They actually all seem really active and really seem to notice when I come around, i.e. they bolt for the water. I actually take this as a good sign. They are alive enough, even without their sight to know when I'm near.

Pictures will come as they make their transition into their more permanent home.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Ah, you had made it sound like they had been wearing those bolts for a while now. Id still leave them be for a while....just holding them and gluing those things on was stressful enough Im sure. Mine stress out when I clean their tank and I have to catch them with a cup and put them in a tuperware. Just be careful with them, as Im sure they have been really stressed...that is all I meant with my last post. My original ones were highly stressed (lived in fresh water originally for not sure how long, were transfered to a car and driven to me and then they had a 2 hour long car ride to get to my apartment.) and only one of the three made it.

Just be careful with them ;)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 am

I'm working on it. :)

Poor things... I finally had one bury himself. I have been reading around and it seems like they burrow, but I don't know if it's to destress or not. I'm just happy they seem to have the energy for it. Things are going really well around here though. Once we make the switch to the new aquarium I'll post some pics.

Thanks everyone for the support!