Fiddler Crabs

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

Fiddler Crabs

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:52 am

My daughter would like to start a fiddler crab tank. I know next to nothing on how to care for Fiddlers and even less on how to set up a tank for them. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:04 am

I don't know anything about Fiddler crabs, but try using the "search" key in the top HCA toolbar. Type in "Fiddler". It will give you somewhere to start :)

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Ive got a little fiddler forums (link in my signature) but you can access the forums without registration and there is a wonderful caresheet there...but there are also a bunch of links for other info sites as well!

But for a rundown;
they are brakish water crabs, the water MUST be filtered
they like to bask (I have a 50watt dayglo and night glow)
the water temps should be warm, so depending how deep your water will be, the lamps will heat the water or you will need a heater.
they must have land and water, I use sand and slope it up ward to creat the "beach".
mine like to hide in PVC pipes, under wood, in plastic plants.
they eat algae wafers, shrimp wafers, or any of the frozen fish foods (you have to feed these on the 'shore" in a clam shell so youdont rot the water)
you want an even number of males and females (so 1 male/1 female or 2males/2females) or you can have all boys or all girls. Just make sure they have places to hide and call "their own" ;)

hmmm what else...have I forgotten anything?
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 am

Thanks for the summation. It doesn't sound too hard to set up. But I have a few other questions. How do you tell a male from a female? What filter should I get for the tank? How many of them can go in a 10gal tank? I tried to go to the forum but it was down.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Males have a large claw and a small claw, while females have two small claws.

You can almost use anything, again depending on how deep you water is. Right now i have a "Small Worlds" filter in mine and have used that kind for 3 years now I think it has been!

I would go with no more than 4 in a 10 gallon tank...gives each crab ample room for hiding and territory dancing :)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch