MHC health

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Have you ever put in unwashed shells into your tank for your MHC's and they died?

yes
No votes
no
80%
I put in unwashed shells and they did fine.
20%

Total votes: 5

Topic author

MHC health

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:42 am

I'm trying to put together a medical emergency help sheet and I need to collect a bit of data.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Hmmmm, I wish I could answer the Poll. I havent put any shells in the tank specifically for the Herms. I did however put some Coral and Other "Sea Shells" from the Beach, My Marine Hermies seem fine.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:14 pm

if you think about it.. you are putting shells in salt water, its kind of like its own disinfectant... With the MHCs I used to own (4), I didn't have any problems adding new shells to their environment. there were never any complications despite the fact that I didn't boil them and clean them out thoroughly.

The reason I don't have MHCs now is because maintaining a salt water tank, no matter how small it is, is very pricey. I had them for a little over four months... then I gave them to a friend who has an incredible reef tank. They are doing great.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Thank's for your help! I still need a few more votes to bust this myth though.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:01 pm

I think that if you have a shell that has been in some sort of chemical, THEN I believe you NEED to wash the shell because it would definitely be a harmful agent. I think this is an outstanding case, however. What I truly think kills MHCs is an imbalance of chemicals in the tank setup and/or poor filtration... i'll keep thiking about it...maybe i an add more to this thread later.

good luck w/ the poll!