What do I need to set up a marine aquaruim.

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

What do I need to set up a marine aquaruim.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:18 pm

What would I need as far as supplies goes to set up a 5-10 gallon marine aquarium? I not thinking anything fancy, just a couple lbs of live rock, some live sand, a few marine hermits and maybe some fish. what kind of fish would be ok in that small of a tank?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:09 pm

Most people don't suggest less than a 20G long if you plan on having fish in it but some fish will work in a 10G though I wouldn't put a fish in anything less than that. Damselfish are a good starter fish and don't get really big. For a 10G I'd only get 1 though because they can be agressive and if you keep more than one it's suggested to get at least 3 so that if one becomes a bully there is more than one fish to pick on so that the same one isn't constantly harrassed. Royal Grammas are pretty and don't get to big. Again, I'd only get 1 unless you go bigger. As for the Hermits for a 5G you could get 1 small or 5-7 micros. For a 10G you could get 1-2 smalls and maybe 10ish micros. Make sure to provide a LOT of shells, I'm not kidding when I say a LOT. Personally I wouldn't have any less than 7-10 per Hermit because I've heard SO many shell fight stories even if there were tons to go around. My MHC changes shells almost every day. They are really interesting though. :D

As far as a set up you'll need...

Obviousally a tank with a filter (I'd suggest glass.)
Live sand
Live rock
Marine salt
Water treatment (I suggest Prime.)
Hydrometer
Marine and Reef testing kits

I would let your tank run for at least 2-3 months with everything in it before adding any Hermies because you want some algae growth. ;) To grow it faster keep the lights on as much as possible and if possible, day and night. Also make sure you get your water quality right before adding any fish or Hermies. :)

I may have forgot something on the list (It's 12am, I got up at 7:30am and I've had a LOT of medication. xD) and if I have someone hopefully will correct me. With a 5-10G you shouldn't need a protein skimmer, it depends on whats in your tank.

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:32 am

I'm knew to this department. I've had fresh water fish before but not salt. Could you please explain to me "live" rock and sand. The rocks and sand I know of are not alive and I can't seem to think of what this means.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:11 am

I have a Link that May Help alot of Folks thinking about getting a Marine Tank.
I Love my "Nano" Tank...it is 12 Gallons...Comes Complete with Lights and Filtration system. I Believe theyn can get as Large as 34 Gal.
I Sooo Wish I knew about these before I Bought my 12 Gal. No regrets however :)
here is the Link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/

I Joined and my Username there is Astinus.
Very Good Info for Marine Enthusiasts...Very Much Like the HCA is for Hermits. They have all Information from Plants to Livestock to...Well...Go Check it out ;)

"Our members have made a total of 1,222,956 posts
We have 28,531 registered members"

Copied directly from the Forum.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

Complicated, but not horrible.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 am

I am about to set up a 10g hex tank as a SW/Reef. I currently have a 55g.

If you really want to do it, try checking out ( http://www.thereeftank.com ). They had a "Nano Build-Off" recently, and there are a lot of people with smaller tanks. Otherwise, a little live-sand, some live-rock, and TIME for the system to acclimate.

If you live in or near OH, I would be happy to provide some live-sand!

(and people on TRT will probably be happy to donate, as well!)

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:35 am

themissinglynk, Thank You for providing that Link as well :) I enjoy Learning and Visiting New "Sites" for my own "Research" into getting or even thinking of trying my hand at interesting (To me) Pets.
In Chit Chat...There are some Links to Herps...Which I also find interesting :)
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

I missed something

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:50 am

Okay, I saw your other question, and none of us had answered it yet.

Live sand is sand that has been collected with some water from a living ecosystem. This means that it contains billions of microscopic life forms, from plankton to snails to bristleworms, etc.

Live rock is the same concept - usually rock carved out of living reef systems, so it also contains the microscopic life. However, since the rock is larger, sometimes you get "bigger" life out of it. Sometimes bad, but most of the time good. Examples I have found are: peanut worms, asterina stars, barnacles, bristle worms, corl polyps, feather-duster worms. All of the things I have found so far were considered "good to have", except for one "aiptasia" (glass anemone). Easily removed.

I hope this better answers your questions.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:02 am

themissinglynk wrote:except for one "aiptasia" (glass anemone).
Why is this? What is it? My local Aquarist shop, When I asked about "Live Rock/Sand"(I have a Somewhat established Tank though), He said that I dont need it. Because in most cases, it Dies. Or would not be a Significant addition to the Tank.
As in any Hobbys and Professions...Opinions abound. I am sure there are 2 sides of a Coin....1 Camp saying "Must Have" and Others would say "Not Needed". Experience, to me, is what Counts.

Live Rock will as TML has said, Help with "Cycling" a "New Tank".
Meaning, It will need to go thru spikes of Nitrites/Nitrates And Ammonia.
Eventually you will have "Beneficial" Bacteria to help maintain a "Healthy" Aquarium.
MY "Lil Dudes"