MHC Strawberry hermit found on ebay

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

MHC Strawberry hermit found on ebay

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm

I was flipping through the hermit crab auctions ... looking for another heater.

Strawberry marine crab

It broke my heart ...
Strawberry Hermit Crab Aquarium Reef Live Coral Crab

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:29 pm

debby

This isn't what you're thinking. First of all, these are aquarium crabs. Shipping crabs overnight is an acceptable business practice. Notice the site lists all the thing that are packed with the hermit to assure it's being alive at its destination.

The only problem I have is them shipping in the winter. I don't know enough about marine crabs to know if this is something that may endanger the crabs.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Ok, I thought it was a marine crabby, but didn't want to make a fool of myself! :oops: Ya, I couldn't tihnk shipping in the winter would be any good. Unless they only ship to places like Florida and other warm, tropical places... :|
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:27 pm

Technically, they could insulate the package enough to maintain a 60-70 degree environment, which would be suitable for shipping. I dunno about marines, though.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:39 pm

It is a marine hermit but being such a large species, it is technically not "reef safe." It will probably eat any snails in the tank and topple rockwork and coral.

And shipping like that is how all our marine animals (and land hermits) arrive to our pet stores. None are native to the United States with the exception of some animals in Florida. And they are insulated and sent with heat packs to arrive warm. I used to unpack shipments from the South Pacific and they were always climate-controlled.