MHC Strawberry Hermit Crab on ebay?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

MHC Strawberry Hermit Crab on ebay?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:33 am

Can people sell live hermies on ebay?

Strawberry Reef Hermie If he's a reef/aquarium hermie why's it out of water?????

EBAY Clicky

Blue legged reef hermie
2nd Ebay Clicky

"Decorator" Reef crab
3rd Ebay Clicky

With this auction you will receive a Decorator Crab, they are very unique crabs who carry sponges on their back, they are great cleaners for your aquarium. They all have different colors (blue, brown, green)

Size:1-2 inches

Care level: easy

Reef-Safe: yes

Diet: detritus

Acclimation: 1 hour

Sally Lightfoot Crab(suprised this one's in water)

4th Ebay Clicky

"Neck Decorator Reef crab" 5th Ebay Clicky

*Edited and Moved by OIF_VET for Link Length
And Proper forum.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:50 am

Those are marine hermit crabs. They live in the water, and cannot live outside water for long. People use them to eat algae. :wink:
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:08 am

Sadly yes, Marine Hermies can be sold on Ebay...Personally I feel that it is not different than if you were to buy Aquarium supplies from on-line stores.
Some are quite reputable and have a decent policy and Guarantee on the Livestock.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Hmmm well it just frustrated me about the hermie if he's suppose to be in water why isn't he in the pic?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:08 pm

marine hermies have an adapted system, they can stay out of water for long periods of time without getting dried out. they are built this way because when they are in their natural habitat they are usually left out on the beach when it is low tide. when the tide returns they are back in the water again!
:)

Hermy88

Post by Hermy88 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:32 am

OIF_VET wrote:Sadly yes, Marine Hermies can be sold on Ebay...Personally I feel that it is not different than if you were to buy Aquarium supplies from on-line stores.
Some are quite reputable and have a decent policy and Guarantee on the Livestock.
I never knew that! I had gotten some of those by mistake when my mom ordered some more hermies for me and we got these instead. The whole thing makes sense in the fact that they didn't last long.

Plus I wasn't sure how much water to put in the container we kept them in until the order could be corrected. They were cute and fun to watch while they lasted, but they only lasted a few days. And that's due to the fact that I didn't know what to do with them.

And they had the same kind of shells as the ones in the picture on Ebay. Some were a dark brown though and others were white with spots on them. What kind of shells are they?

The reason why I'm asking is because they're were some snails in there too with the same shells.

Hugs and kisses to all of my beloved hermies! I miss and love you. You mean the world to me and I love you.

See you again someday.

Mommy.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:20 am

Most if not all Marine Hermies use "Snail" shells.
If I can find the link to a "Marine" Livestock/Supply store that I have come across on-line I will add the Link here.

Sadly, I think the Marine Hermits U got passed on because they require a Salt water Aquarium.

Some Marine Hermits can be quite striking in color. Most will stay in the Tiny to Small size. I have however seen 2 Jumbo Marine Hermits. Quite dull and drab in appearance. They are sold at my Local Mom & Pop Fish & Pet store.
The Jumbos, according to the Owner, are sold to folks who are setting up a Marine tank and will use the Hermits to help establish the tank. Once the Tank has matured he buys back the Hermits. Sadly this just highlights the fact that most Marine hermies are not viewed as a pet, but more of a necessity as they are the Janitors of the Marine Tank. All the same, I still enjoy looking and watching these wonders. I placed some Polyps in my Marine tank and 1 of my blue legged fellows took a small piece of rock that had some polyps on it and attached it to his shell. Kinda funny, sine the rock piece was slightly larger than his shell. And to see a Polyp walking around is quite amusing.

I will try and find that link or I will google it. I will know it when I see it.
This on-line store has quite a large variety of Livestock for a Marine tank.
I am not sure if they have fresh/tropical fish.
MY "Lil Dudes"

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 am

Found 1 of the links I had. (Quite a few Mozzilla Updates and upgrades)

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/

Just found this link...I have seen this one and I am very impressed by the way they describe the livestock. They tell ya upfront if the "Fish" is very delicate and will not guarantee the "Arrive alive" policy they have.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/

I will look for other links that I had. I am having to Google them.
MY "Lil Dudes"

Hermy88

Post by Hermy88 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Oh wow! Thank you. The ones that I had had blue legs. I for got the name of them but when I got them they were in a bag with water. I don't know if it was Salt water or Fresh water.

That's something I've never thought about. Thanks a million for the links. I'm going to look through them completely tomorrow since it's late here.

Hugs and kisses to all of my beloved hermies! I miss and love you. You mean the world to me and I love you.

See you again someday.

Mommy.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Hermy88 wrote:Oh wow! Thank you. The ones that I had had blue legs. I for got the name of them but when I got them they were in a bag with water. I don't know if it was Salt water or Fresh water.

That's something I've never thought about. Thanks a million for the links. I'm going to look through them completely tomorrow since it's late here.

You are quite welcome! I am glad that I was able to help ya some.
And yes, the Hermit Crab you received was undoubtedly a Marine (Salt Water) Hermit. There are a few species of Fresh Water Hermits, but not that many.

The 2nd link, IMO, is an awesome resource, if nothing else, just to read the requirements of the specific livestock is educational. At least I think it is. :)
MY "Lil Dudes"

Hermy88

Post by Hermy88 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:51 pm

That's what I thought. My mom didn't know what they were so I told her that they're some species of Marine or Salt water hermies. But I didn't know what to do or what to feed them so they only lasted like 5 days.

They were cute though. Now I know what to do if I ever get these again by accident. Thank you.

See you again someday.

Mommy.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:36 pm

OIF you mentioned that there are species of freshwater hermits--where have you seen these? To my knowledge all aquatic hermits are marine. Some may be adapted to tolerate brackish water but I don't know of any freshwater hermits (other than our land hermits).

Hermy88

Post by Hermy88 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Fresh Water?! :shock: Like Jsrtist said where have you seen these? Because I live near Central Park and they have a lake there and they're all sorts of snails and bugs in there.

And a guy that was fishing not to far from where I was sitting told me he caught a crayfish! So do you think there could be hermies in there? *Sincerely hopes so for when she goes back there*.

See you again someday.

Mommy.

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:38 am

fresh water hermits are rare, and live on only a few select islands in Indonesia i believe.