if I get a land hermie and a marine hermie will they fight?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

if I get a land hermie and a marine hermie will they fight?

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:06 pm

ok im going to the beach tomorrow and there are all ways allot of marine hermies so Im gonna take 1 home but will the hermies fight?

MacandHunter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by MacandHunter » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Please do not take marine hermits off the beach. Marine hermit crabs need different living conditions than our land hermit crabs. They will not be able to live in a tank that is set up for land hermit crabs. Fighting won't be the problem, but the crab will die. So please enjoy them in their natural home, and keep them there where they can be happy.
Crabbing since 7/4/04 - 10 years!
I'm not asking salvation from you - I'm just asking to be safe for a while
make it easy - make this easy
it's not as heavy as it seems
wrapped in metal -wrapped in ivy - painted in mint ice cream

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:13 pm

Personally, I would leave the marine hermit crab in the ocean. It is used to being in the environment and does not deserve to be put into captivity, even if you could get it the best care.

Besides, it would be very difficult to have both land hermit crabs and marine hermit crabs in the same tank as marine hermit crabs must be submerged in saltwater and have a filtered system.

If you are interested in keeping marine hermit crabs, I recommend you read up on them here and then get a marine hermit crab aquarium set-up.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 pm

umm you probobly shouldnt take them off the beach in the first place. i dont know about fighting but if you did have both they would need different enviroments so you might try one land crab tank and one marine crab tank instead so they get everything they need. thats only if you had both, it would be better to leave the marine crabs on the beach.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 am

ohhhh I get it :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:45 am

why would a land one fight with a marine? theyd not even be in the same tank
second off- i agree
dont take animals out like that :?