worried about mhc in too small shell

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

worried about mhc in too small shell

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 pm

I have a mhc that seems to big for his shell. He was a stow away on a coral I bought at the LFS. He doesn't seem to move much (he's not dead) but every now and then his one leg that he keeps out of the shell will move a little. If the size of this one leg is an indication of how big he is, this shell is way too small. Should I worry? Is there a way to coax him out of his shell? I have several other shells of the same type and size but with a larger opening in the tank already.

lenny

annopia

Post by annopia » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:23 pm

i see you are a new member, so let me add a big welcome! feel free to ask all and any questions you might have, we're here to help. although the site is mostly dedicated to LHC (land hermits) there are several members with MHC (marine hermits). there isn't a lot of info out there about how to care for MHC, so most of us learned from trial and error.

how large is your hermit? (compare to penny, quarter, half dollar, golf ball, egg, etc) also, do you know the species? some are known to be more particular about shells than others.

i wouldn't try to coax him out of the shell, such an effort would likely stress him to the point of death. i've only really shelled a marine crab once, and that crab was naked after an attack (and later died). the most you can do is offer him a big variety of shells.

also, i'm concerned if he stays in the same place 24/7, because he probably isn't getting the nutrients from scavenging on the live rock. i feed my guys chunks of human-grade raw fish to supplement their diet, you might want to try that.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:43 am

I set him on top of one of the other shells that would probably fit him better but he just pushed himself off after about 5 minutes. His shell is approx a quarter(not the mouth). I've had him about a week but I guess I'll keep a close watch on him. thx

lenny

annopia

Post by annopia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:51 am

yes, they can be quite stubborn...i have one c.seurati, Eleusis, who is way too big for his current shell but refuses to change. in this pic he is pulled just about as far back in his shell as he could:

what does your little guy look like?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:57 pm

hes a red leg. Only once in a while can you see his eyes. did you chip the shell back to give him room?

annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:11 am

ah, I have a red leg too, named Cesium.

but no, he modified the shell on his own...or it happened in the rather nasty fight he had getting that particular shell my tank has over 50 spare shells to choose from, but he is very particular and wanted THAT shell, even though it was occupied.

Caroline