29G Brackish

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

DSNinjaX

Re: 29G Brackish -7/23 Mega Update! New Species, Redo, Pics,

Post by DSNinjaX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:56 am

That's pretty cool! I wonder why that Georgia Aquarium doesn't keep crabs like that . . . :?:
Proud owner of two Hermit Crabs
Spider-Crab (He wants to be Spider-Man's sidekick)
Hermie II (Current superhero of the tank)
R.I.P. Hermie I ???-??? (Was dead prior to my purchase)

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 am

I think your original big male just couldn't handle all those ladies :shock: It probably takes a lot out of ya to wave that thing around all day.
I seriously love all your little ones :D I'd love to have fids one day, but I just can't handle all the craziness of full water tanks :/ I'll keep myself sated with the thousands of little crabbies for me to play with when I go to the beach :D
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

ElleGirl

Post by ElleGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I was excited to see your sand fiddlers. Those are the type you see here on the beach in Florida. Here's a pic of one I caught (and released) at Pine Island Beach, near Springhill Florida.

Is that the species you had a hard time keeping alive? There might be a temperature difference for the different species. I know it gets down right HOTTTT here.
Happily, a hermie caretaker since 2000. Teaching my tentative husband and tenacious three year old everything I know.
Hermie - PP - rip 2002
Racer - E- rip 2003
PPs: Lady (Medium) and Handy (Small) - pp
Es: Happy (Large), Mako (Large), and Pinchy (Medium)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am

Yes! That is exactly what they were! :)

It might have been temperature, or it might have been their version of PPS. I had two females out of that entire group make it through molting. They're still doing great and they stick out like a sore thumb right now because they're the only two without eggs. (They don't have one of their men around and apparently they can't or won't cross breed.)

I'm sure they do like it hot. :D But so far they seem to be doing well with the 72 degrees+ (it's normally around 75) that the tank is at. Thankfully. :) I just LOVE the purple and pink!

Redid the tank last week. Moved the filter around, moved stuff around, used plexi pieces to make the tank into Fort Knox as I had two escapes within a week and the second female was severely injured by the cats. (They do look like a big spider when they get out....) I think she's okay though.

Also upgraded the lighting. The bowfront in storage came with a light strip that fit the 29 gallon, and it's a T-8 fixture so I finally got to use the actinic bulb I got on super sale last year! :D It's so awesomely clear now. No more brownness from the old glass!

The design is working better with the filter output and land section in the middle. Before the guppies were all huddled in one area, but now they're spread out evenly and everywhere! I'm also hoping it will give the males each a side to claim territory on.

I'm in love with the lighting! Seriously. We've eaten dinner in the dinning room almost every night since I swapped it out. (Which is weird, because we never do.)

Love those giant clam shells from Alaska Hermit! They really make the tank. I need more coral to build it up taller so they can look like real clams glued to a rock wall. :)

The ridiculously large cammo turbos I got with a shell order earlier this year. Hermit crabs get big, but they don't get that big! Might as well put them to awesome use.

Random lady, between broods.

The lighting is perfect!

Guppy mob!

And finally a series of the big dude doing his "Heeey Ladies!" dance:

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Striker0086

Post by Striker0086 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:33 am

It's good to hear that your out of the December tragedy! Like the new look and I must say.... you have quite a few guppies compared to the last update I read. They really took off.

parrothead

Post by parrothead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Look at the CLAW! If I was a girl Fiddler, I'd go out with him ;-) lol

The guppies are beautiful and you're right about that lighting, looks fantastic!

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 pm

The guppies are sooo pretty! :D
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Seeing the pictures in this thread always makes me want fiddlers. I don't have the space for an extra tank now, but maybe someday.

Lord Frieza

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Me too. Maybe sometime in the future I might get some fiddlers. Love the setup and the pictures, Wode! :banana:

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am

Had to share a new vid. :) My goal since last summer has been to keep only one male in the tank at any given time since the biggest one has killed the others who were breeding age. (Those claws are not just for display. They can totally pierce exo with them!) However, when we brought home some females this past spring the smallest was missing both of her front claws and when it molted it turned out to be a very young male. I think we'll be okay since by the time this little guy becomes a threat the big guy will have succumbed to old age as I've already had him for about a year and half, maybe two years and he was already a nice size when he came home. I'm keeping a close eye on them though.

Anyway, for some reason they decided to compete this morning. :hlol:
http://youtu.be/B7lw-0EEVgc
The big guy's claw is so bright because he just molted about a week ago. Which was a shock, since he was already enormous before that.

Also, new tank design. Really want to find a stand for the 36 bowfront that'll be used for them. The big guy is so big that he clunks the lid when he displays. :shock: We'll be watching TV and can hear this steady Tap... Tap... Tap... from the other room!

SoulLonely

Re: 29G Brackish - 1/7/13 Male Display Vid, New Photos

Post by SoulLonely » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 am

wow, that claw is huge looking! how big is it, like an inch??
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:35 pm

SoulLonely wrote:wow, that claw is huge looking! how big is it, like an inch??
More like two and a half to three. He's ginormous.

This is the bottom part of his claw that he shed not this last time but the time before. It's not even complete and it's 1 & 7/8 inches.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 am

I always wanted fids, but after seeing that... I like my hermies with the small claws!
But impressive! :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I always wanted fids, but after seeing that... I like my hermies with the small claws!
But impressive! :D
I'll hand feed the females and don't have a problem when they crawl up my hand, but I float treats over to the males instead just to be safe. I've had them put that claw around my fingers lighty in the past, but I've never had them crunch down. Not sure if they could do any damage but totally not taking the chance. ;)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:13 am

WOW. Normally a few of the ladies are carrying eggs at any given time, but there hasn't been any with this many. :shock:

One of these days I'll actually try raising them. I keep hoping that there's enough nooks and crannies in the main tank that I'll end up with surprise babies someday, but I think the guppies eat them all the moment they hatch. :/