Emperor Scorpions - Babies 10/11

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: I've got baby scorpions!

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 am

Sorry it's taken so long for an update! The room has been kind of a mess since Christmas, as the decorations are stored in the closet that's off the Invert room. With the scorps on the top shelf I had to tidy everything up to be able to sneak in at night and see them without shaking the rack they're on and send them scurrying for cover.

Their tank was due for a good cleaning anyway, since the plants had gotten really overgrown. I love Castra. I'm moving stuff around in the tank and digging out plants, and out she wanders, demanding dinner. (She's always done this when she gets hungry, ever since I first brought her home.) So I get her a roach, and for the next 4 hours as I'm cleaning up the rest of the room, she keeps popping out with her roach as if to say "Thank you!". At one point I walk in and she's got it pressed up against the glass in the middle of the tank with the lights blazing away. I think she wondered where I went. :hlol:

Mom will feed the babies bits of what she's having when they're little, but either hers got too big or the roach was just too good to share, and right after I snapped that last one she side swipes the little dude with her tail and he flies back into the tunnel! Was not expecting that to happen.

She's a greedy gus, that's for sure!

I counted five babies in the tunnels tonight. I've yet to see more than that at once, but I seeing how fast they can polish off 3 dozen small crickets I'm pretty sure there's 9 or 10 of them in there somewhere.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm

That is too cute that she demands dinner :) Glad to hear there are many babies surviving, and it looks like they have grown a ton!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:43 am

I found a bunch of exo bits over the tank so I know they've molted once, so they're 3i now. :) I'm not feeding these guys as much as I did their parents so they should grow slower and therefore larger. (I hope!)

Just wish the little boogers didn't shred their exos when they brought them up. Their mom and dad always left me perfect ones. *pout* I can't even get a count of how many babies there are like I did with Femscorps brood, as I can't figure out which bits make a whole exo!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 am

I a 99.99% sure that Castra is gravid again! They were sitting out "infrareding" tonight and she was looking plump, so I snapped some photos and I'm pretty sure she has the dark line down her back that signals that they're carrying. I am so insanely excited at the thought of another litter this year! (And I might be reading into it too much because of that want of babies, but they're doing the same pregnant behaviours as the last time.) I figured I would have to wait until next summer for more little ones. She carried the last group to term in probably 6 to 8 months, and it's already been 5 or 6 months since she gave birth. They are not wasting any time. :shock:

Now to try to find a way to get the current babies out of the tank without disturbing mom and dad. I'm going to try a live home-made scorpion trap in the tank. May not get them all, but if I'm lucky it'll get most. :) I

Also one of Femscorp's brood had a bad molt and is missing a claw. It won't grow back either, but from what I've been told he should be able to live a normal life. "Lefty" has been separated out for now so I can make sure the limb is okay and that he can hunt normally. He's gorging on pre-killed superworms tonight. I've sort of grown attached to him. Hoping he'll be okay! Should know in a couple of weeks if he's in the clear.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:28 pm

ELEVEN!

Castra is pregnant again, so I figured it was time to get the older babies out so they wouldn't eat their new brothers and sisters. (Not sure they would, but not taking the chance.

There's ELEVEN of them! 11! One One!

.... I've sort of been feeding for five this whole time... they're a little.. tinier... then I expected.
That could be a good thing though - the slower they develope the bigger they should be and the longer they should live.

Still, their parent's were on their 5th instar (molt) by their first year. These guys are maybe on their 3rd? Possibly their 4th.

They're hiding in their shoeboxes right now while I finish up the tanks, so no photos of the group though I promise to get one before they all go back in. :)

This is just one of them. The first one I was able to catch:

fraksocks

Re: I've got baby scorpions! Update 8/24/2014 - There's 11!

Post by fraksocks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:06 am

Congrats! You have quite the prolific little bunch there [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:12 am

Awesome! Glad to see you still raising these poisonous species!
;)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I love seeing updates on this thread! :) Your scorps are too cool. 8)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Here's the family photo. :clap:

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 am

wodesorel wrote:Here's the family photo. :clap:

No offence Wod, but that is the ugliest family photo i ever seen! :lol:
I think I stick with my less toxic hermies.... However I can see your attachment to them, they are different.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: I've got baby scorpions! 8/24/2014 There's 11! w/Pic!

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 am

They do this jumpy/stiff thing when they're startled. I think that's why I love them so much - because that's the same reaction I have to spiders! Plus, the clatter-patter of tiny feet is adorable. (Yes, I know there is something wrong with me. :P )

Very short video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=35 ... 2933519229

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:39 am

The short vid was cool, I agree with you, the jump thing looks so funny!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 am

Surprisingly, I like the clickety clack of their skittering too. Yours look very healthy. The ones I see at pet stores always seem sort of limp and blah. Very neat little guys.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:29 pm

CallaLily wrote:Yours look very healthy. The ones I see at pet stores always seem sort of limp and blah.
Dehydration. :( Most pet stores don't realize they need extremely high humidity and a water bowl, and set them up like desert scorps instead. There aren't many tropical species that are widely available - Emps are on a CITES hold for at least a few years and can't be found commercially anymore because they cannot be imported. The stores have switched over to Asian Forest Scorpions instead, which are a little nastier in temperament and have a more powerful sting and are a bit smaller, but they have the same general care as Emps. Those are really the only two that are widely sold.

I still remember when I got Femscorp home - she stuck her head in the water dish and didn't come up for air for 20 minutes straight. She looked like a deflated balloon at the time and was all wrinkly, and within a few days she was plump again. And it wasn't from food, only water!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:30 pm

:( I'll remember that next time I see one like that and speak up. How high should their humidity be?