Nighttime digging!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Nighttime digging!

Post by aslansgirl89 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Oh my goodness! I have not seen my crabs up in a while but I know that they are active when I am not looking because they keep burying their water dishes! I am not sure how they do this but I know they are doing it at night because I fill up the water dishes before bed and every morning I come in to find at least one of them buried! Lol! This morning their roommate in the "critter room" was not amused at all the noise they were making last night apparently because she's looking at me like, "Mom! Can you make them be quiet so I can sleep please?!" Her name is Maggie by the way and yes, she does think that she is a princess and she might just be right. I know that she isn't a crab but technically she does have a shell! Lol! Enjoy! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Nighttime digging!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 pm

aslansgirl89 wrote:Oh my goodness! I have not seen my crabs up in a while but I know that they are active when I am not looking because they keep burying their water dishes! I am not sure how they do this but I know they are doing it at night because I fill up the water dishes before bed and every morning I come in to find at least one of them buried! Lol! This morning their roommate in the "critter room" was not amused at all the noise they were making last night apparently because she's looking at me like, "Mom! Can you make them be quiet so I can sleep please?!" Her name is Maggie by the way and yes, she does think that she is a princess and she might just be right. I know that she isn't a crab but technically she does have a shell! Lol! Enjoy! ImageImage

I feel your pain lol! Sometimes when my Beau is very active, he can completely cover his salt pool in sand up to twice a day! I threaten that I'm going to let him go thirsty if he keeps doing it, but of course he knows I'll never follow through with that lol. ImageImage
Ps-What kind of turtle/tortoise do you have? I have a Russian Tortoise. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm

My guys love to trash their tank too!
Are you using all EE? From what I have read, it floods easier than a sand/ EE mix. Be sure to check and be sure there are no water pools underneath.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Maggie is a three toed box turtle rescue.

Yes, I am using all eco earth. Could I just use playground sand?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 pm

aslansgirl89 wrote:Maggie is a three toed box turtle rescue.

Yes, I am using all eco earth. Could I just use playground sand?

Aw she's cute!

Yep, you can use play sand that you can find at Lowe's/Home Depot. The brand I buy says it's already screened/washed/dried. I think many people here, including myself, use a mix of play sand and EE as their substrate. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Many of us use a mixture. 5 parts of play sand (available in big 50 pound bags cheap at hardware stores) with 1 part moistened EE. It hold the shape well, helps with humidity, and is much cheaper than using all EE. Unless there is a rare emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom, you also don't need to do a deep clean (from my understanding, straight EE gets kind of smelly and people seem to replace it now and then). In the 9 years I have had my crabs, I have never fully replaced my sub - I have just added more as I upgraded tanks and my crabs have grown. I have a 55 gallon tank with a plexi glass lid and no bubblers, and my humidity is always 90 or above, I never have to mist.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 am

curlysister wrote:Many of us use a mixture. 5 parts of play sand (available in big 50 pound bags cheap at hardware stores) with 1 part moistened EE. It hold the shape well, helps with humidity, and is much cheaper than using all EE. Unless there is a rare emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom, you also don't need to do a deep clean (from my understanding, straight EE gets kind of smelly and people seem to replace it now and then). In the 9 years I have had my crabs, I have never fully replaced my sub - I have just added more as I upgraded tanks and my crabs have grown. I have a 55 gallon tank with a plexi glass lid and no bubblers, and my humidity is always 90 or above, I never have to mist.
Oh that's awesome because that's what I have in the sandbox for my kids right now and I love the texture! Lol! I am reluctant to put it in now though because I think that both of them are due for a molt and I don't really want to stress them out by doing that right now.