75g rebuild: false bottom, levels, cycled pools

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:27 am

Here we go with my tat!
I needed a false bottom. I set up my old 29g and moved crabs over 1 by 1. The last crab just got moved over a couple days ago. With 2PPs and 3Es crammed into a 29g, i had to move fast. I threw down a tote and scooped sand like i'd never scooped in my life! Sub was flying everywhere, it was mayhem! Finally i got it emptied, moved, and threw together the 75g once again, hopefully for the last time. And i took pics!
So it turns out we don't have the right blades to cut pvc Image i exchanged my 3 tubes of pvc for 6 bags of couplings.
They were perfect! $0.26 cents a piece at Home Depot. I took a strong drill (no cordless varieties here) and drilled a little hole towards one side to act as a notch. Every piece got a drilling.
It was sloppy, but quick. After drilling all 60 pieces, i massaged my arm back to life. I placed them all in the tank, optimizing my use if the strength of all these little pillars. I made sure every single one was drilled-hole down.
Then i got my huge sheet of eggcrate/light diffuser. It was found in the drop ceiling supplies area in Home Depot. I took some random tool i have no knowledge of and started hacking at the sides, like in the turtle guy video someone else had posted. I wish i had used a giant file so i could file down the timy sharp edges, but i will be redoing these someday, so i went with it. I had to cut 2 pieces in order to place it into my braced tank.
Next was needlepoint canvas. I ziptied these pieces together loosely. I'm counting on the weedblock to keep the crabs from trying to get in between the seams.
Then i did more stuff, but forgot to take pics. Now i'm in bed Image Sooo more to come tomorrow Image

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: it looks like i have zombie hands in the first pic Image But i was just wearing gloves Image

hermieluv1

Re: 75g rebuild: false bottom, levels, cycled pools

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:16 am

Great idea with the couplers! I use a jigsaw to cut my pvc but it is difficult to do.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 am

Looking good! :banana:

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:24 pm

ALRIGHTY! After much bojangling, dillying, dallying, futzing around and all-around shenanigans, i think my rebuild is pretty close to done. I've got pics to share and hopes to inspire!
Aaaaaand queue music!
Overall tank:

Left to right:
(SW 2.5 gal)
(FW 2.5 gal)
(FW with shower caddy moss pit behind it)
(Fresh meat "trough" with dry dish up in the back, shell shop underneath the shelf)
(Popcorn Penthouse, opening soon, with a ground floor moss pit)
(Soon to be dry food haven)

I'm in the process of weaving/braiding more "bridges" (those fluffy white rope things) to give more of an aerial highway thing going on. Once everything is connected, the Popcorn Penthouse (also has leaf litter) will open, and a KK ISO will take the place of the current dry dish. A new dry dish will take up almost the entire surface that the hygrometer sits on. The top shelf i am planning a hide.

Both pools are in the process of cycling. I will need more stuff to fill the bottoms of the pools, probably going to use dollar store pebbles. Will also need to visit Joanne Fabrics to buy a buncha those bushy plants. Planning a bigger, deeper moss pit, but not sure where to fit it...

I'm sure there will be more editing (there always is) but it's good enough for npw that i can just enjoy a bit Image

Time for a cup of hot cocoa!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:09 pm

I love it. So jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Thank you!

Crabbers unite!!!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 pm

So epic! I may have missed it, but what are you using for the fluffy white bridge things?
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:43 pm

Thank you! ️ They're plastic packaging straps that i braided like a scoubidou/gimp. They're made of lots of woven strands, so they provide a lot of traction.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:07 am

Diesel in the FW when i "went to bed":
Diesel in the FW 4 hrs later when i checked to male sure he hadn't drowned Image:
I can't stay up all night so... Here's to hoping he doesn't drown!!!
Bonus E-pic of Pixie(?) being all cute:

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:47 am

Diesel was out, almost 6 hours later, but i did not catch when he came out:

Crabbers unite!!!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:13 pm

It looks so great right now! I can't wait to see some green in there! It looks like they love those pools! What did you make the white bridge stuff out of? The tube kinda thing? Super interesting!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks! They are plastic fiber packaging straps. The kind of stuff you have to cut open that hold together stacks of packages. It's a roll of flat ribbon-like strap.

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: and i am looking fwd to more planta too!!

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:48 pm

YYWW - what is the purpose of the holes drilled in the couplers?

Does just the plastic mesh on the false bottom keep the sub up? I covered mine all the way around with weed barrier. So one layer on top and one on the bottom.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:57 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:YYWW - what is the purpose of the holes drilled in the couplers?

Does just the plastic mesh on the false bottom keep the sub up? I covered mine all the way around with weed barrier. So one layer on top and one on the bottom.
The holes drain accumulated water out. That way the couplers wont act as a cup, holding onto any leaked water. They wouldn't be able to be vacuumed from inside the couplers, and might add to a bacterial issue in the future. In hindsight, i should have used a bigger bit to drill bigger holes, but these will do i suppose.
I think i was supposed to put the plasstic mesh in last. It should act as a barrier against pinchy claws poking holes in the weedblock. I guess crabs like to tear stuff up and you don't want a pinched hole to spill sub into the false bottom. I think it works either way, but the perfectionist in me is shaking her hindsighted head ImageImageImage

Crabbers unite!!!

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:42 pm

How do you vacuum out the water???
I might have missed something in my false bottom for my 65g... :cry:
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E