So here I go....

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Cortnilin

So here I go....

Post by Cortnilin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:42 am

So it appears as though I started my hermit crab adventure in the same way as many others. In early July, while on a trip to Cocoa Beach, my family got a PP and an E (at the time I didn't know they were two different kinds). The poor little crabbies managed to survive the week at the beach and also a week in Disney World, all the while living in a tiny mesh cage with little water (I might also add that I asked the clerk if they would be 'okay' in that cage while we were on vaca and of course he spouted off that they would be just fine). Once we arrived home, I did my research and immediately jumped to fixing their cage into something suitable for them. Since all this has taken place my kids have become bored with the crabs and I fell in love Image I have since picked up a few more roomies (all pp) and everyone seems happy....I recently made a second level in the tank by using a few locking suction cups and a plastic dish drainer I found on clearance...the sand and Eco earth are the right levels, salt and freshwater, temp/humidity are great etc. I'm wondering if not having a second E is a big deal though? There are several pp's but no likeminded buddies for the Ecuadorian. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermitcrabdc

Re: So here I go....

Post by hermitcrabdc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Your tank looks amazing, great job!
Having a specie buddy is recommended. The only thing I would ask is, how big is your tank? I would worry about overcrowding if you added another E.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for the compliment! I was worried about overcrowding also. The tank is 18x18x24 which roughly translates into 35 gal. I added the second level to increase the floor space but that doesn't help with room for molting. Right now I have a small E, a small pp, a med pp, and a larger pp for a total of 4 crabs. They all get along very well despite the size differences. Part of the reason for me asking my question is that I can't find E's in town where I live and I don't like the idea of mail order crabs...so I'm hoping my E will be able to 'get to know' the pp's and be okay...

cap7

Post by cap7 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm in the same boat, hopefully my E can wait till an adoption comes along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Cortnilin wrote:Thanks for the compliment! I was worried about overcrowding also. The tank is 18x18x24 which roughly translates into 35 gal. I added the second level to increase the floor space but that doesn't help with room for molting. Right now I have a small E, a small pp, a med pp, and a larger pp for a total of 4 crabs. They all get along very well despite the size differences. Part of the reason for me asking my question is that I can't find E's in town where I live and I don't like the idea of mail order crabs...so I'm hoping my E will be able to 'get to know' the pp's and be okay...

I would definitely hold off on getting a specie buddy. Es tend to be a more aggressive species and fair better in larger enclosures. With that said I hope your crabs do well together!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Cortnilin

So here I go....

Post by Cortnilin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks for the info :)

Topic author
Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:07 am

cap7 wrote:I'm in the same boat, hopefully my E can wait till an adoption comes along.

How long have you had your E alone?

cap7

So here I go....

Post by cap7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:18 am

Only 6 weeks, took awhile to get a good look at him. He hunkered down for a bit. Then I realized he didn't look like the others. The original owner got him in Myrtle Beach while on vacation.
I like your tank setup too!

Topic author
Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 pm

I didn't realize I had two different kinds until I got home to Indiana. After having done research on them, I now know a huge indicator would have been the two distinctly different type of shell openings they were wearing and their color. But we were rushed and I didn't notice. My little E is very sweet and not as shy as some of his pp tank mates. He also does not dig...almost never. The environment is perfect for digging and all his tank mates dig often...but not the E.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:09 pm

I absolutely adore this tank! Keep up the excellent work! Do they use the ladder?!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cortnilin

So here I go....

Post by Cortnilin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks! They use the ladder constantly. They even sleep on it. :) but I also put a coconut fiber mat on the back of the tank and they use that to get to the second level also.

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

hprmom

So here I go....

Post by hprmom » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Love the tank! Cocoa and Disney, you were practically in my backyard. . Totally get the "kids got bored and I fell in love" bit!

Topic author
Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:12 am

hprmom wrote:Love the tank! Cocoa and Disney, you were practically in my backyard. Image. Totally get the "kids got bored and I fell in love" bit!

Thanks! One of these days I'll snap my fingers and my husband will love the south enough to move there...until then I will hunker down for another Midwest winter Image.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:57 am

OMG, haven't I commented about your crabitat yet?! :shock:
Just wanted to say its beautiful and looks amazing! Sure the crabs love it.

....Resume discussion...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:51 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:OMG, haven't I commented about your crabitat yet?! :shock:
Just wanted to say its beautiful and looks amazing! Sure the crabs love it.

....Resume discussion...
Thank you! I have definitely tried to make up for the odd shape of the tank by sprucing up the second level.....so far so good Image