The Norwegian crabitat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:43 pm

This is a Juwel Trigion 190 l (50 ish gallon)

The sub is sand and coconut soil (from exo terra)

There are roots and living plants, most for decoration and trashing. They love the fern! There are five ruggies living here (at least, that's what we ordered) but I think two of them are under ground already. They arrived yesterday, but I haven't seen two off them all afternoon. We rearranged abit and couldn't find them. Hope there okey :)

So, we have Salt, Pepper and one that my husband shall name, it will either be Chant or Willys. The ones underground haven't got names yet. We have to get to know them a bit.

Image

Image

Image

(Don't mind the hygrometer thingy, we just placed it. Now the temperature is 27 degrees (80,6 F) and 75% humidity- going upwards.)

Image

Image


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Just want to mention that the aquarium have been decorated and just hanging there crabless for a week, just so we could see if we could keep the crabitat stabil :)

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

User avatar

daws409
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:43 am
Location: Eastern NC

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by daws409 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Looks awesome!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Wow - beautiful looking crabbies and crabitat! Very normal for them to bury and destress! Just leave them be.
A few things I would like to mention- make sure substrate is at least 6" deep or three times deeper than your largest crab (whichever is deepest). Make sure your water pools are large enough for them to submerge in and get out of. Be sure to get more levels (either more wood to climb - cholla, grapevine, mopani, corkbark), and or some vines, etc. More levels = more room ;) all in due time of course - have fun decorating.

Edit: Pools: Dechlorinated fresh water and marine salt water ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

LadyJinglyJones
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: The 6ix, Ontario, Canada

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:38 pm

THOSE TINY EYES...! :cloud9:

Looks great. You'll have to let us know which plants survive the best - I know a number of us are very interested to know which plants hold up under crab abuse.
:crabbigsmile:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Wow - beautiful looking crabbies and crabitat! Very normal for them to bury and destress! Just leave them be.
A few things I would like to mention- make sure substrate is at least 6" deep or three times deeper than your largest crab (whichever is deepest). Make sure your water pools are large enough for them to submerge in and get out of. Be sure to get more levels (either more wood to climb - cholla, grapevine, mopani, corkbark), and or some vines, etc. More levels = more room ;) all in due time of course - have fun decorating.

Edit: Pools: Dechlorinated fresh water and marine salt water ;)
We are waiting for some pools on the mail, the freshwater tank is deep. The saltwater is not so deep. We don't have chlorine in our drinking water, so no worries :) The sub is a bit over 15 cm, that's six" :)

More levels are comming :D We love aquascaping in our aquarium, thats my husbands passion. He have lots of ideas.

Coconut huts are to small for the hermies, tho. That makes me a bit sad, they are so cute!!


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:THOSE TINY EYES...! :cloud9:

Looks great. You'll have to let us know which plants survive the best - I know a number of us are very interested to know which plants hold up under crab abuse.
:crabbigsmile:
I'll keep you updated :D

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Lothlorien wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Wow - beautiful looking crabbies and crabitat! Very normal for them to bury and destress! Just leave them be.
A few things I would like to mention- make sure substrate is at least 6" deep or three times deeper than your largest crab (whichever is deepest). Make sure your water pools are large enough for them to submerge in and get out of. Be sure to get more levels (either more wood to climb - cholla, grapevine, mopani, corkbark), and or some vines, etc. More levels = more room ;) all in due time of course - have fun decorating.

Edit: Pools: Dechlorinated fresh water and marine salt water ;)
We are waiting for some pools on the mail, the freshwater tank is deep. The saltwater is not so deep. We don't have chlorine in our drinking water, so no worries :) The sub is a bit over 15 cm, that's six" :)

More levels are comming :D We love aquascaping in our aquarium, thats my husbands passion. He have lots of ideas.

Coconut huts are to small for the hermies, tho. That makes me a bit sad, they are so cute!!
I would switch your pools until they come. They would prefer saltwater deeper over freshwater :) The dechlorinater is more than removing chlorine. I'll attach the link: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553 Love all the pictures! Thanks for sharing!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:59 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Lothlorien wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Wow - beautiful looking crabbies and crabitat! Very normal for them to bury and destress! Just leave them be.
A few things I would like to mention- make sure substrate is at least 6" deep or three times deeper than your largest crab (whichever is deepest). Make sure your water pools are large enough for them to submerge in and get out of. Be sure to get more levels (either more wood to climb - cholla, grapevine, mopani, corkbark), and or some vines, etc. More levels = more room ;) all in due time of course - have fun decorating.

Edit: Pools: Dechlorinated fresh water and marine salt water ;)
We are waiting for some pools on the mail, the freshwater tank is deep. The saltwater is not so deep. We don't have chlorine in our drinking water, so no worries :) The sub is a bit over 15 cm, that's six" :)

More levels are comming :D We love aquascaping in our aquarium, thats my husbands passion. He have lots of ideas.

Coconut huts are to small for the hermies, tho. That makes me a bit sad, they are so cute!!
I would switch your pools until they come. They would prefer saltwater deeper over freshwater :) The dechlorinater is more than removing chlorine. I'll attach the link: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553 Love all the pictures! Thanks for sharing!! :)
Thank you! This I didn't know, I will pass it on to my hubby. He knows the water here :) I haven't read all, and it's very late here so I'm going to bed. Just wondering, our water is very soft. Will that harm the ruggies? Should we make it harder? I have bought cuttlefish bone, should I put it in the water, or just lay it in the tank?

You guys are amazing Image Learning so much!

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Yw! If you have a soft water system, you should be fine - no you would not want to make it hard :) A lot of us just stick the cuttlebone in the tank like a surfboard - it looks cute that way :) Get some rest!

Edit: stick the cuttlebone into the substrate like a surfboard sticking up :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


KTM200xc
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by KTM200xc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Those guys are awesome! I like the plants. That's one thing I need to add to mine.


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:34 am

KTM200xc wrote:Those guys are awesome! I like the plants. That's one thing I need to add to mine.
Thank you! I love the ruggies, find them so cute! :D

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 am

Oh my!!! Ur ruggies are ADORABLE!!! And ur tank is beautifully set up! I really like the center wood piece that is standing up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:10 am

Kermie16 wrote:Oh my!!! Ur ruggies are ADORABLE!!! And ur tank is beautifully set up! I really like the center wood piece that is standing up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! The ruggies likes that piece too, they climb up there to enjoy the view :D So cute!


Topic author
Lothlorien
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

Re: The Norwegian crabitat

Post by Lothlorien » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 am

Pepper is the only one out and about today :)

Image

Image

Post Reply