New Bark and Branches!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Re: New Bark and Branches!

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am

These branches were practically so clean, I just put them right into my tank.
I couldn’t fit larger ones in my oven, so I baked smaller ones and sunned the others.

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 am

I'm so jealous. They spray for mosquitoes so there's basically nowhere i can harvest nearby that isn't sprayed. :(

I even have a giant oak tree in the back of my property that i wanted to use, but since the truck sprays i just have to try to buy some online!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:27 am

stella wrote:These branches were practically so clean, I just put them right into my tank.
I couldn’t fit larger ones in my oven, so I baked smaller ones and sunned the others.

Just FYI sunning the branches won’t kill bugs. I wouldn’t offer this type of advice. Baking or deep freezing is the only way to kill bugs. Branches may look or appear clean, but microscopic organisms can live on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:24 am

Nobody sprays the mosquitoe sprays for the neighborhood, we are the only ones in here that has a mosquito misting system (as far as i know). But the neighborhood I got my branches from is half a mile from our house, and they don’t use pesticides, nor do they spray for mosquitoes.

I was very worried, so I kept removing these branches from the tanks, but now that I know that neighborhood is pesticide free, I feel less stressed out. It almost feels like every time I talk about this, I get more paranoid.

Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Cities that have a high population in mosquitoes usually send trucks, planes and boats to spray. It wouldn’t be something the homeowners association does. Usually city itself does it, etc

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Cities that have a high population in mosquitoes usually send trucks, planes and boats to spray. It wouldn’t be something the homeowners association does. Usually city itself does it, etc

Yeah, never seen a spraying company in my neighborhood, and glad about that! :)
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:15 pm

piratetoothgir wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Cities that have a high population in mosquitoes usually send trucks, planes and boats to spray. It wouldn’t be something the homeowners association does. Usually city itself does it, etc

Yeah, never seen a spraying company in my neighborhood, and glad about that! :)
Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they couldn't have come. Better to check with your city to be safe. Just saying. (Only if you care to be safe than sorry)

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:21 pm

My dad is saying that he thinks a spraying company comes through our neighborhood, not regularly though. I collected branches from the neighborhood across from ours, which does not use pesticides or spray for mosquitoes.

What do you think of that?

Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

piratetoothgir wrote:My dad is saying that he thinks a spraying company comes through our neighborhood, not regularly though. I collected branches from the neighborhood across from ours, which does not use pesticides or spray for mosquitoes.

What do you think of that?

Once again, the city or county would be in charge of it, so you would need to check with them. I always say it is better to be safe than sorry - but that is me.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

I am no longer using the wood in the tank anymore, all this is making me extremely paranoid.

Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Not trying to make you paranoid ~ you just need to call the city or county and find out if they spray for mosquitoes in the area you took the wood from. Better to be safe than sorry. Pesticides are dangerous to crabs.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 am

GotButterflies wrote:Not trying to make you paranoid ~ you just need to call the city or county and find out if they spray for mosquitoes in the area you took the wood from. Better to be safe than sorry. Pesticides are dangerous to crabs.

Okay, I found out this morning.
It looks like they are spraying in an area and down roads that are a maximum of 10 minutes from me. I didn’t see any marked areas in the neighborhood where I collected from though.

Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 pm

@GotButterflies
I found the right number, and called the public health department.
They said they only spray in that area when there is a health threat, and the last recorded spraying was last year.

What do you think?

Crabber Since 2016