We Ate a Hermit Crab for Dinner!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Motörcrab

We Ate a Hermit Crab for Dinner!

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:11 pm

With the two of us being vegan we decided to make our own homemade Seitan (sounds like Satan) roast. Last minute we decided to shape it into a hermit crab! So we ate a hermit crab for dinner!

Disclaimer: No real hermit crabs, or any other animals we're harmed in the making of this roast or dinner!
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Motörcrab on Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: We Ate a Hermit Crab for Dinner!

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:06 am

Looks more like coconut crab to me. Either that, or you're missing the best part of the crab, the abdomen!

(Looks yummy as well, and what clickbait!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:38 am

Those feelers! This is so cute!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:26 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Looks more like coconut crab to me. Either that, or you're missing the best part of the crab, the abdomen!

(Looks yummy as well, and what clickbait!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was thinking it looked more like a coconut crab too, plus it only has two legs. I was trying to figure out a good subject title for this. Lol

We we're trying to figure out a way to make the "shell" a different color. Thought about slices of green olives for shell markings and black olives for the eyes. This was our second roast after our first recipe was a complete flop. We had to start this recipe around 5pm and in the mixing process of kneeding the dough when the crab idea popped in our heads. With it being late on Christmas Eve and being in Amish country all the stores were closed already.

Our next attempt will probably be the standard Seitan mix for the "shell" and a Jackfruit mock Crabcake for the actual crab. It should give it a completely different color, and different taste as well. The Seitan dough is very strechy and tough to get shapes out of.

This was only our third attempt at making a Seitan recipe. We found out it's much better if you cook it the night before, let it cool, then reheat and serve the next day. The best thing is with it being 100% plant based you don't need to worry about under cooking or any of that stuff.

We can probably honestly say that we were the only people in the world to eat a Hermit Crab Roast on Christmas!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:28 am

That’s a great idea that you shaped it into a hermit crab, pretty cool! It looks like it turned out very good.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«