Size difference

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Size difference

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 am

I love how they all get along.Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Links

Re: Size difference

Post by Links » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 am

Gotta get me a wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 pm

jrleath wrote:Gotta get me a wheel Image

You really do. Mine sleep in it and I've seen 4 at a time walking on it.ImageImage

Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Sorry my pics keep coming out sideways.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Wheels are the best! Always good for entertainment- and for the crabs too!
Mine also love their wheels, absolutely one of the best things I’ve added to any tank hands down. They love them, plus I feel guilty that they can’t walk more like they would naturally anyway. I’m just a guilty feeling kinda person I guess.... ha!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:You really do. Mine sleep in it and I've seen 4 at a time walking on it.ImageImage

What kind of wheel is that / where did you buy it from and what did you place inside of if for their little crab legs to walk on // and how did you hang it lol . Sorry for all the questions ive seen so many use these and now I gotta have one

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

We usually use plastic hamster wheels purchased your local pet store. The grid you see is plastic mesh. That allows the crab to grip better and extends the wheel wider for our larger crabs.

DIY wheels work too by using a fidget spinner and round container.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Scarletfire wrote:

Brilliant!! I gotta look more into this- with my final build (final- what? Psh.) coming up I just might find a great use for this!! Thanks!!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm
We usually use plastic hamster wheels purchased your local pet store. The grid you see is plastic mesh. That allows the crab to grip better and extends the wheel wider for our larger crabs.

Stupid question-- but aren't hermies highly sensitive to metals…? If they are, don't mostly all fidget spinners have those little metal balls in them, making them unusable for crabitats?(I gotta get a wheel too, lol)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:45 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:Wheels are the best! Always good for entertainment- and for the crabs too! Image
Mine also love their wheels, absolutely one of the best things I’ve added to any tank hands down. They love them, plus I feel guilty that they can’t walk more like they would naturally anyway. I’m just a guilty feeling kinda person I guess.... ha!

Do you have a wheel big enough to fit Princess??? Lol Image I'd love to see her in one. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 pm

I do!! Not only does she fit, they all fit! Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:I do!! Not only does she fit, they all fit! Image

Oh wow that's so awesome!!! Image Is Princess on the left or right? I remember she's in a pearl shell but their back ends look the same lol!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

I THINK she’s on the left. Mr S is just about as big as she is but she has a little larger span- but the one leg I can see looks like Mr S to me! They couldn’t choose different shells or anything, that would just be too easy!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:I THINK she’s on the left. Mr S is just about as big as she is but she has a little larger span- but the one leg I can see looks like Mr S to me! Image They couldn’t choose different shells or anything, that would just be too easy! Image

LOL! I thought I was the only one who got confused which crab is which. I felt like a bad crab Mom haha. My 2 smaller crabs that I rescued both changed shells a couple of times and are close to the same size. So I officially reassigned names to who I think each one is now lol! Image

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Yep! That’s more or less what I do for my Littles as well. There are a few who are unmistakable (my ‘ghost crab’ for one!) The others that are twins get called a name. Might not be the same one every time but hey, we do the best we can! The small ones are more hard bc they’re growing so much faster than the large guys.