Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm

I moved a little over a month ago, and I finally got the energy to set up my 55 gal tank. Yay! Only my big Beau and little Petunia are in there at the moment. Their 2 buddies, June Bug and Kaulder are still down in their 20 gal, presumably molting. I attached a pic of the tank and Petunia. I tried to sex her today, but she is super shy. The minute my hand went near her she'd curl up tight in her shell. She's one of my rescues. I'll have to work on building up trust with her, then maybe I'll find out if Petunia is a good name or not lol..Image
The big thing in the middle of the tank is a suction cup soap dish holding my humidity/temp gauge. I originally used it as a small shell shop in the 20 gal.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

Crabby7Crabber
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 am

That's awesome! :D Petunia is adorable. I love your set up! :crabbigsmile:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog

User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:That's awesome! :D Petunia is adorable. I love your set up! :crabbigsmile:
Thanks so much!! I think I'm going to get another wheel for the other side, but the 6" one. Beau loves the small wheel, but he barely fits in there with his big ole shell lol. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

Motörcrab
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2143
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 am

Awesome! Egg crate is a game changer with crabitats! It gives you so many options.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Awesome! Egg crate is a game changer with crabitats! It gives you so many options.
Thanks!!! I would have never known about egg crate if it wasn't for you and the Mrs! I also got those fake bamboo tension rods you talked about too. I wrapped those up in jute twine. They work perfect. Thanks for all of the great ideas! I don't have your awesome decorating skills, but I did the best I could LOL. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Wow! Really nice!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Wow! Really nice!
Thank you!! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw


Kydra
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by Kydra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Just got a chance to look at your pics here. Take a look at my reply in "Miscellaneous". After seeing your picture and setup, I'm leaning back towards purchasing a 55G early next week. Although a free tank with stand and lights is still tempting and is larger than my 20G long.

I also have 4 and they have grown so much since last August! Really want them to have more room. I do have a little bully and they could use more space esp for molting.

Think you did a great job with it! Love the picture of Petunia too!! I'm not a creative person myself. Never heard of eggcrate or craft mesh until I joined this forum and have been able to work with both (thanks Amazon lol). Glad your upgrade went well/is going well! 😎

User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Kydra wrote:Just got a chance to look at your pics here. Take a look at my reply in "Miscellaneous". After seeing your picture and setup, I'm leaning back towards purchasing a 55G early next week. Although a free tank with stand and lights is still tempting and is larger than my 20G long.

I also have 4 and they have grown so much since last August! Really want them to have more room. I do have a little bully and they could use more space esp for molting.

Think you did a great job with it! Love the picture of Petunia too!! I'm not a creative person myself. Never heard of eggcrate or craft mesh until I joined this forum and have been able to work with both (thanks Amazon lol). Glad your upgrade went well/is going well! Image
Thanks so much!! Petunia thanks you too! It was a lot of work, but the good kind lol. I can't wait for the 2 other crabbies to come up so I can move them. Especially since Beau is separated from his best buddy now.

I would def take the free tank and stand. You can always go out and grab the 55 gal if the free tank doesn't clean up nice. I think MotorCrab mentioned about liking a wider tank rather than a longer tank. I agree. The crabbies have much more room than their 20 gal L, but decorating is a bit harder because the 55 gal is only 12" wide. I got my tank years ago from a friend for free. Since I originally had fish in it, I already purchased the stand some years back. I think it was something like $120 at Walmart. I already had the strip light too from when it was an aquarium. So all I had to buy was the glass top (appx. $36, which showed up not broken like my last one did, yay!!) I got all my craft mesh from AC Moore before they closed up. I think I bought at least 20 sheets lol.

Thanks again! Try to get some rest! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw


Kydra
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by Kydra » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:53 pm
Thanks so much!! Petunia thanks you too! It was a lot of work, but the good kind lol. I can't wait for the 2 other crabbies to come up so I can move them. Especially since Beau is separated from his best buddy now.

I would def take the free tank and stand. You can always go out and grab the 55 gal if the free tank doesn't clean up nice. I think MotorCrab mentioned about liking a wider tank rather than a longer tank. I agree. The crabbies have much more room than their 20 gal L, but decorating is a bit harder because the 55 gal is only 12" wide. I got my tank years ago from a friend for free. Since I originally had fish in it, I already purchased the stand some years back. I think it was something like $120 at Walmart. I already had the strip light too from when it was an aquarium. So all I had to buy was the glass top (appx. $36, which showed up not broken like my last one did, yay!!) I got all my craft mesh from AC Moore before they closed up. I think I bought at least 20 sheets lol.

Thanks again! Try to get some rest! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
No problem and thank you! Just getting settled in from work (at 230AM), but did read through the thread in miscellaneous and going to go that route as you suggested. If it's something that's just not workable, I can get a 55G if needed. Also appreciate the tips on amount of sand/EE... really don't need a ton of 50lb bags of extra sand although I'm sure would eventually use it lol.

I hear ya and I was hoping to finish upgrade while I finally had all crabs above ground. I have had limited time to even check my wyze camera, but hopefully it works out. If so, I may be in the same position just waiting... and waiting for any molters that may have dug down to get into the new tank!

I really haven't thought about lid options until I just read your reply here. I like the lights, but have no idea what's open and 'escape proof' or not. Also, humidity concerns. I'll see how it goes though and update here as I can. Appreciate the help/thoughts! Thanks again.

User avatar

Topic author
CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: Finally Upgraded! (55gal)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:58 am

Kydra wrote: No problem and thank you! Just getting settled in from work (at 230AM), but did read through the thread in miscellaneous and going to go that route as you suggested. If it's something that's just not workable, I can get a 55G if needed. Also appreciate the tips on amount of sand/EE... really don't need a ton of 50lb bags of extra sand although I'm sure would eventually use it lol.

I hear ya and I was hoping to finish upgrade while I finally had all crabs above ground. I have had limited time to even check my wyze camera, but hopefully it works out. If so, I may be in the same position just waiting... and waiting for any molters that may have dug down to get into the new tank!

I really haven't thought about lid options until I just read your reply here. I like the lights, but have no idea what's open and 'escape proof' or not. Also, humidity concerns. I'll see how it goes though and update here as I can. Appreciate the help/thoughts! Thanks again.
I hope you've been getting some rest!

Yeah, I totally overdid it on the sand lol. Too bad I don't have any kids. I would have plenty leftover for a sandbox haha!

I think my biggest crab Beau went under in the big tank. I haven't seen him in 3-4 days. Petunia is still up though! I caught her having fun on the little wheel last night. Image

My glass lid from That Pet Place is working well so far. The big strip light I have on there from when it was an aquarium is working well too. It keeps the back parts of the tops weighted down, and gives off a little heat to keep the tank warmer. I have a jar of the crabbies's Peanut butter and coconut oil on the tops in the front to weigh it down. Don't want any jail breaks lol!

Take care!Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply