Finished Crabitat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Finished Crabitat

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Yay so excited I finally finished my crabitat ( i know that it will never be finished but I say that to convince myself to stop buying stuff). My two small pps were in this ten gallon Image
But now I upgraded and put them in a 20 with a 2.5 gallon topper tank.Image
Feel free to say thoughts and questions so I can improve even more . My hermies are buried and will probably come out in the night so I will keep updated on how the like itImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Finished Crabitat

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:Yay so excited I finally finished my crabitat ( i know that it will never be finished but I say that to convince myself to stop buying stuff). My two small pps were in this ten gallon Image
But now I upgraded and put them in a 20 with a 2.5 gallon topper tank.Image
Feel free to say thoughts and questions so I can improve even more . My hermies are buried and will probably come out in the night so I will keep updated on how the like itImage

Very nice! Where did you get the large coco huts with the big openings? I only have one, and the opening is slightly smaller than yours. I've only been able to find the single crab coco huts lately.
Love the topper! How did you attach it?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm

I got them from petsmart. Pretty cheap. For the topper tank I just explained it so here it is. How to stack tanks
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:I got them from petsmart. Pretty cheap. For the topper tank I just explained it so here it is. How to stack tanks
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Thanks! The pet stores around me seem to only have the small huts. I haven't checked in a couple of months tho, so maybe I'll have to try Petsmart again. Thanks for explaining about the tank stacking. Sorry I didn't see you explained it elsewhere.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm

Np well I live in Canada so it is probably different maybe try looking online though shipping may be a lot.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Looks great!

Two suggestions I have: Weigh your plexiglass top down!! Hermit crabs are escape artists! You could use books, a brick, or even duct tape it down.

Regarding the topper - I recommend using duct tape. Packaging tape might not handle humidity well. I personally used duct tape for all of mine - it comes in all sorts of colors and designs. I used basic black so it looked like part of the tank. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Well I usually do weigh it down with a heavy glass spray bottle but I took it away for the photo. I don’t have duck tape but it seems really strong. I will change it if it stops working. Thanks

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:Np well I live in Canada so it is probably different maybe try looking online though shipping may be a lot.

I'll def check online at Petco/PetSmart, thanks! Image

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:25 am

I caught both my hermits exploring there new tank. Image
On this last photo it is of him behind the mesh beside the heat mat. Is that bad? It is up pretty high and the heat about 10 inch away is 73 ish. We moved him out and continued on our night. It was really late so I did not look at him again. Hope they like it!!!!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Awesome tank! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Wow, looks great! It looks to me like the plexi is lifting in one corner of the tank and I might be a little concerned if there was a gap when it is weighted.

I love that you made a substantial second level, I have an extensive second level as well and my hermit crabs use it ALL THE TIME. I feel like crabitat should ideally have 3 levels: sub, ground, upper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks I am not really worried about the plexiglass because even though I just upgraded like a month ago i am upgrading again to a custom 69 gallon! It’s true crabbing is addicting and I can’t wait till my tank gets here in a few weeks. Though I would not recommend plexiglass to anyone because it is definitely getting worse.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Nice! My crabs are current in a custom 65 gallon. The funny thing is I got this tank off of craigslist from a guy who, as it turns out, had it custom made for hermit crabs. I guess it makes sense because the dimensions really are perfect. What are the dimensions on ur new tat gonna be like?

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:09 pm

It’s going to be 40” long, 16” wide, and 25” tall

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Nice! My tats 30x18x25. I just upgraded a year ago and I already wish it was bigger lol