Finished Crabitat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Re: Finished Crabitat

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:26 pm

lol
Do u mind sending photos for some inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Haha CAN I?? Try to stop me ;)

I constructed it out of egg crate which I wrapped in burlap to give it a more natural look then I ziptied everything together. If you look at the threads I started I did a build diary which documented all the steps. Hopefully you can get an idea of how the upper level is set up. I put a little shelf in the back right corner and constructed a shell shop in the back left. Theres egg crate all the way around on the top and they love hanging out on the top level. It's really fun watching then when they hang out on the bridge I built along the front of the tat, which they often do.

If I were to do it again (which I will since I'm moving for school this fall) I might change the configuration of the shell shop/back right shelf. Let me know if u have any questions or want more pics from different angles or something!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Wow that’s a very nice tank. What material are you used for the second level floor? Has it ever started to mold, because I think that is a really cool idea for a bridge.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Thanks! It's all made out of egg crate wrapped with burlap. Egg crate is a material used in overhead lighting, like in offices. I had to check quite a few hardware stores before I found it. Lots of crabbers on this forum use it to build their tats but I've never seen anyone else cover it in burlap.

Egg crate is very brittle. I cut the bridge to fit almost exactly in the space, and same with the wings connecting the bridge to the back. I figured that if everything fit the space perfectly it would more or less hold itself up without any additional support needed. This had turned out not to be the case. The bridge snapped in the middle and the whole thing sort of sagged so I have been using some suction cups to hold everything up which works ok. When u rebuild at my new place I'm probably going to sew some invisible thread around the weak parts and hang it from the cross beam in the middle of the aquarium. I may also get some thin plastic and reinforce the bridge with it so it wont crack.

I havent noticed the burlap molding but I wouldnt really care if it did. Crabs dont seem to mind mold so much. It has gotten pretty ragged where it comes in contact with the sand though. Again, doesnt really bother me, still looks great overall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Thanks I will try that