One of my strawberries and a better look in the freshwater pool!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

One of my strawberries and a better look in the freshwater pool!

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:40 pm

Caught one of my strawberries climbing around the tank again! He (and many other crabs) greatly appreciate the grapevine to climb on!

And I did a waterchange on the freshwater pool, cleaned off all the dust algae on the glass and darn, the freshwater pool looks so much better with the floodlight above it. I can finally see in there and look at the cherry shrimp.

Sorry if this is considered spam since I am used to the "upload schedule" (basically post as soon as I get the picture) from Reddit!
Owner of 24 crabs in 200 gallons. 7 C.Perlatus, 2 C.Lila, 3 C. Rugosus, 12 unidentified C.Species
Started only 3 years ago and already hooked.

Hermielover121

Re: One of my strawberries and a better look in the freshwater pool!

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Wow your pool looks sk nice and your strawberry is so cute. Where did you get them from, I am looking for hermit crabs that really stand out like strawberry’s ( but I love all hermit crabs anyways). I live in Canada so it’s pretty hard to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:22 pm

I got all my hermitcrabs from Interaquaristik.de, they ship animals only to Germany/Austria. Since they aren't popular pets in Germany there aren't really any up for adoption so I got them from a reseller. Not a single painted shell and they ship them well insulated and with moist moss! (on my bigger orders they even included extra shells for free!) And the price isn't too bad either so I am very happy with them.
Owner of 24 crabs in 200 gallons. 7 C.Perlatus, 2 C.Lila, 3 C. Rugosus, 12 unidentified C.Species

Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Love it!

Ok I’m going to ask a question. Shocker right?

What do you have for sub in your aquarium?
Dustins fish tanks used organic potting soil. Or you can go more high tech with ADU or whatever James Findley sales.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:41 am

Links wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:46 pm
Love it!

Ok I’m going to ask a question. Shocker right?

What do you have for sub in your aquarium?
Dustins fish tanks used organic potting soil. Or you can go more high tech with ADU or whatever James Findley sales.
You can use whatever substrate you like in your freshwater! aquarium. I used some dark grey/black gravel with a size of about 5mm (1/5th inch). Depending on what you want to do with the freshwater tank you can go with sand and soil (a dirted tank, bury the soil under the sand before filling up the tank and when the plants' roots reach the soil they'll grow like crazy), gravel, Aquasoil...
It's all up to you and what you want to do with the tank. Rough gravel worked fine for me as I have to gravelvacuum a bit due to the crabs carrying lots of dirt in the tank.
In my 350 liter aquarium and my cherry shrimp tank I use JBL Manado, it's like a small aquasoil but clay based and only releases iron into the water, it has worked out great too.