Awwwww

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Julsie

Awwwww

Post by Julsie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:10 am

I was misting my crabitat before bed and my biggest crab Grapefruit likes to sit in this hanging coconut hut and so I was just looking at him and I saw another leg in there with him. I take a closer look and i’m amazed that my second biggest also was in this tiny little hut with Grapefruit. I’m like “awwwww that’s so cute!!” But my mom reflexes kicked in and I was worried that there could be chance they couldn’t get out because sometimes things are easy getting in but hard to get out. I took down the HEAVY hut and placed it on my bed and as i’m getting an even better look inside of the hut I notice ANOTHER crab! My third biggest crab was in there too! So i’m like omg okay thats cute but now I really gotta get these big guys out! I successfully took them out and placed them back inside the crabitat but I was in such disbelief that my 3 biggest dudes were crowded inside this one tiny little hut & in the pics you can’t even tell that there’s 3 in there until I noticed one crab kinda sitting on something because he’s more raised up into the air lol. I guess I gotta get more coconut huts lol ImageImage
3 biggest guys obviously gotta hang out together lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Awwwww

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:43 am

In the wild, they naturally hunt out small spaces and cram themselves into there, like clowns in a car. I got some pics of them, but lost them when my hard drive fried - and lost all the pics I tool of wild caught aussies.

Its why I made my 3d background with a tunnel and cave, as they love to cram themselves into there and just hide.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am

aussieJJDude wrote:In the wild, they naturally hunt out small spaces and cram themselves into there, like clowns in a car. I got some pics of them, but lost them when my hard drive fried - and lost all the pics I tool of wild caught aussies.

Its why I made my 3d background with a tunnel and cave, as they love to cram themselves into there and just hide.

Thats so strange! You’d think they’d hate being stepped on and such. Legs all in their eyes lol

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm

So cute! I love when they squish themselves next to each other. When I only had 2 crabs, they would insist on shoving themselves together into a single crab cocohut. Even though they had a cocohut that could fit 2-3 crabs in it lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 pm

Julsie wrote: Thats so strange! You’d think they’d hate being stepped on and such. Legs all in their eyes lol

Yes, but at the same time no. Remember, they are kinda at the bottom of the food chain in the wild, which means they are relatively easy picking. One way to helo reduce chance of being predated on is to stay in a large group (which they do) and hunt out areas to hide in where they are less likely to be caught. Craming yourself into a rocky crevice/cave where bigger animals will struggle to get in is a great way to ensure you dont get caught, and having 50 bodies all crammed in there will also further reduce the chances of you beinf predated on - game of chance.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 am

Mine did that too. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:12 am

aussieJJDude wrote: Yes, but at the same time no. Remember, they are kinda at the bottom of the food chain in the wild, which means they are relatively easy picking. One way to helo reduce chance of being predated on is to stay in a large group (which they do) and hunt out areas to hide in where they are less likely to be caught. Craming yourself into a rocky crevice/cave where bigger animals will struggle to get in is a great way to ensure you dont get caught, and having 50 bodies all crammed in there will also further reduce the chances of you beinf predated on - game of chance.

Ahhhh that makes sense. Smart crabs lol

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:13 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:Mine did that too. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
so adorable:))