New crabs

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

New crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Kind of a long story. After I redid my 90gal because if a bacterial bloom, and upgraded my 40b to a 75, I ended up adopting several crabs. I wanted my bigger crabs in the 90, so there was 7 and I added a medium from the 40 to the 90. Total 8 in there. I put 4 from the 40, on the small side, in the 75. I adopted 3 from a friend and put them in the 75. They are pretty small. Then I purchased 3 small crabs from Petsmart. They went in the 75. Then I saw 2 crabs for sale on offerup. Plastic critter keeper. I offered to adopt them, but I didn't need to purchase the set up. It took her a few days. I offered her $5 for both crabs. She ended up giving me everything. The crabs were small and I was going to put them in with the big guys but realized the pools are sett up for the larger crabs. So they went into the 75 gal. There are 12 in there now. Although I have miscounted in the past but that's the number I'm going with. Lol. The last 2's shells were so pretty I decided they were females. I have no idea. In the 1st day they switched shells. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

CrabbyLover77
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: PA

Re: New crabs

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 am

Aw, congrats on the new babies!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 7 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar

HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: New crabs

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 pm
Kind of a long story. After I redid my 90gal because if a bacterial bloom, and upgraded my 40b to a 75, I ended up adopting several crabs. I wanted my bigger crabs in the 90, so there was 7 and I added a medium from the 40 to the 90. Total 8 in there. I put 4 from the 40, on the small side, in the 75. I adopted 3 from a friend and put them in the 75. They are pretty small. Then I purchased 3 small crabs from Petsmart. They went in the 75. Then I saw 2 crabs for sale on offerup. Plastic critter keeper. I offered to adopt them, but I didn't need to purchase the set up. It took her a few days. I offered her $5 for both crabs. She ended up giving me everything. The crabs were small and I was going to put them in with the big guys but realized the pools are sett up for the larger crabs. So they went into the 75 gal. There are 12 in there now. Although I have miscounted in the past but that's the number I'm going with. Lol. The last 2's shells were so pretty I decided they were females. I have no idea. In the 1st day they switched shells. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Awww so sweet! I rescued my three crabs from a horrible situation from craigslist!
The first night one of the crabs in a painted shell changed the first night!! :crabbigsmile:
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: New crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:13 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 am
Aw, congrats on the new babies! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thank you.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: New crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 pm

HappyHermit0916 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 am
Awww so sweet! I rescued my three crabs from a horrible situation from craigslist!
The first night one of the crabs in a painted shell changed the first night!! :crabbigsmile:
I find they do switch the first day. It's amazing they know the painted shells are no good.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

ROSIEonFIRE
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New crabs

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 pm

So exciting!

When I was filling up my colony I adopted 2 crabs off of craigslist. The experience made me really angry because the guy didnt want to sell me the crabs if I wasn't going to buy his aquarium/crummy set up, which sounds like the lady who sold u 2 crabs. I told him he was lucky I was offering money for the crabs and that he would sell the stuff faster without crabs attached. He said no. I checked in with him a week later and, naturally, he had sold of the equipment including the aquarium but no one wanted the crabs. He was keeping them in a tiny mesh crab cage that they barely fit in together. I was so mad.

So frustrating how these people who are giving up their pets try to nickle and dime you sometimes. It's like dude, can you think about the wellbeing of your pets just a little bit??

Glad u got to rescue them and give them a great home! Since I lost 1 crab in the move I'm gonna look around to see if theres a tiny I can adopt in the new area to fill the vacancy. All my crabs are so big!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: New crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:15 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 pm
So exciting!

When I was filling up my colony I adopted 2 crabs off of craigslist. The experience made me really angry because the guy didnt want to sell me the crabs if I wasn't going to buy his aquarium/crummy set up, which sounds like the lady who sold u 2 crabs. I told him he was lucky I was offering money for the crabs and that he would sell the stuff faster without crabs attached. He said no. I checked in with him a week later and, naturally, he had sold of the equipment including the aquarium but no one wanted the crabs. He was keeping them in a tiny mesh crab cage that they barely fit in together. I was so mad.

So frustrating how these people who are giving up their pets try to nickle and dime you sometimes. It's like dude, can you think about the wellbeing of your pets just a little bit??

Glad u got to rescue them and give them a great home! Since I lost 1 crab in the move I'm gonna look around to see if theres a tiny I can adopt in the new area to fill the vacancy. All my crabs are so big!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Was he willing to give you the crabs?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

ROSIEonFIRE
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: New crabs

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Was he willing to give you the crabs?
He was willing to *sell* me the crabs after he realized I was right and that no one else would want them. It was so crazy when he gave them to me he was practically tearing up about it and how sad he was that he had to rehome them which, on the one hand it was nice to see someone who cared about their crabs but on the other hand, he was willing to sell off their aquarium stuff leaving them basically in a tupperware on the off chance he might make a few extra bucks so I'm not really that sympathetic

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Post Reply