Reasons why to say NO to painted shells!

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author
Bowman

Post by Bowman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:11 am

I believe this link was up before, didn't see it in the Archived shell information so thought I would post it.http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=66

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 am

We did have a link in the archives but it was obsolete. Thanks for initiating the topic Bowman.Members, feel free to browse the library on this or other topics.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author
lpshiner

Post by lpshiner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm

What a sad and painful story- but what a good heart that person has to rescue and save that poor little crab. I could not help but cry when I read it.It makes me wonder too- how *do* they get the crabs to go into those painted shells? I'm wondering ,but then again I'm not sure I want to know.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Here's a link to a video, but I'll warn you it is horrifing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ny6kip ... re=related

Topic author
Bowman

Post by Bowman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 am

It shows them putting them into their shells. What about getting them out.. I bet they are just yanked really fast and the ones that don't let go, go.

Topic author
JessG1179

Post by JessG1179 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

There are two popular methods to get the crabs out of the shells (I believe that video shows a small clip on that):-They gas them unconscious and the crabs fall out-They freeze them to the point of near death, then they fall out

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm

After looking at this pic of my Raja you will see why I do not like painted shells...All the peelings and chips always end up in my crabitat, Yuck!!!!Sandra

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm

If you do a google search on the subject you'll find more info on this but, to put it simply, paint is bad because 1) they do horrible things to the hermies to get them in the painted shells in the first place, 2) the paint is often not dry when the hermies are forced into the shells, thus the hermies get stuck and die, 3) the paint often chips and when the hermies eat it they get sick, and 4) the paint fumes are not healthy for the hermies to breathe. And also, as far as I'm concerned, painted shells are more likely to cause people uneducated about the care of hermit crabs to do an impulse purchase just because the shells they're in look "pretty." It encourages people to look at crabbies as throwaway pets, and if they die....oh well. Not good, IMHO.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm

The crabs don't seem thrilled about them, to be honest, and I've heard of the dreadful things some distributors have done to get the crabs to change into the painted shells in the first place. I think so long as the paint isn't peeling or dangerous or anything like that, and if the crabs willingly go into them (aka they're offered with other suitable nonpainted shells and the crabs pick it anyways) then I don't think they're that awful. I prefer natural shells, myself.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, I don't think so. If there's nothing dangerous about the painted shells, and they have a choice of whether or not to wear them, I think they're okay. I offered a painted or two along with many natural to two new PPs, and one chose a painted and hasn't switched. (I didn't pay much in the way of money for the painteds, as they were sent along in a batch of shells I just had to pay shipping for; they don't get worn very often) If you like the painted shells, and your crabs don't seem bothered by them, I don't personally see a problem. Oh, but beware that should you ever need to boil 'em, the paint will probably bubble/peel.

Topic author
Hermie Luver

Post by Hermie Luver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Horrible, horrible things are done to get hermies out of shells ...1) What was mentioned above. (cracking shells, food and water out of reach)2) Drill a hole in the natural shell and use a sharp object to poke the hermie's abdomen til they drop out. 3) Try to pull the hermies out of their shells (and most get ripped apart or in half )4) Enclose the hermies in a jar and release a gas to kill them. Remove them from the shell, and use pure oxygen to revive them. They scuttle into the painted shells. 5) Stick them in the freezer and make them slow down (most die ). Remove them from the shell and insert them in the painted shell.There are many horrible, horrible things they do out there. If this was the other way around, many cruel stupid people who do this would see it from the hermies point of view.