Quail chicks

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

jenok

Quail chicks

Post by jenok » Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 am

Well my quail started laying eggs again just over a month ago so the last week I've had little baby quail hatching. They are soooo cute. I got my license for them and have sold some eggs and have several interested in the chicks. I forked up some extra cash and bought a little better incubator but still had some problems with it my fault though. It was digital and I didn't double check any of the readings so it was a little too cool so my eggs are hatching late meaning some aren't making it. I feel so bad cuz I didn't think to double check. At least some are hatching. I started with about 100 not all were fertile so that nocked it down to about 80. I have helped a few hatch but most have hatched on their own. Around 7-10 have died either in the egg or just hatched leaving me about 35 healthy living ones and some still hatching but the bad thing is they all should have finished hatching today and I know they won't so I only expect another 5-10 to actually make through hatching out of about 30 eggs. but maybe i'll be surprised when I get home.

Keg

Quail chicks

Post by Keg » Wed May 28, 2014 10:09 pm

They are the cutest bird, I think. I never saw one up close though. Just when I hike. The whole family runs across the road in a single file line.The parents seem nervous. In a cute way.

Topic author
Tongue Flicker

Quail chicks

Post by Tongue Flicker » Wed May 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Agreed. They are the cutest thing ever. They even follow you around as you walk
Neil
" With great power comes great electricity bill... "

Nnnnnnnn

Quail chicks

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Thu May 29, 2014 2:43 am

Bobwhites? I love them

jenok

Quail chicks

Post by jenok » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am

Well I ended up with 44 chicks all total out of about 80. Should've had a better hatch rate but it was my fault for not double checking the temps. I'll know better next time. I'll try to remember to get some pics to post.