stupid computer/internet

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
jenok

stupid computer/internet

Post by jenok » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 am

Well its been a little over a week since I've been able to get on here. The stupid internet on the computer won't work properly. Sometimes it works just fine then it won't work at all. Very frustrating! Then I was off all week due to the snow and cold weather which is going to hurt my paycheck, but I understand it doesn't make sense to open your business if its nasty outside and no one is coming in. The bad thing about that was apparently the owners didn't think about haing the live minnows in the tanks. I open the door this morning and it stinks really bad. I go over to the tanks and there was half of them dead/dying. I guess no one changed the water out or removed the dead fish over the week so it poisoned the water causing a kill off of even more fish. Took me an hour to clean out the tank and separate the live ones from the dead ones. A costly mistake that a little tlc would've prevented. I don't live In town but the owner does and he could've easily done it but didn't.

Crabber85

stupid computer/internet

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 am

@jenok, how are you connecting to the internet is is wireless or wired?If your connecting via wireless then your either getting interference from something like a cell phone or cordless phone(cordless phones use the same frequency as most wifi cards).You put a cell phone or cordless home phone anywhere near the majority of router brands and they will instantly drop the wireless connection as the cell phone or cordless is actively hijacking the shared frequency as phones tend to have some sort of precedence due to the way the devices are made.The other possible cause is that your wifi card in the computer is going bad which is a very common thing.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

stupid computer/internet

Post by jenok » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:06 am

The computer i'm using is plugged into the internet via windstream. However if my husband is here with his laptop he can use it wireless.It hard to tell what is causing it. When I would have problems my hubbies laptop wouldn't neither does 1 of the owners laptop so it makes me think its the computer, but it doesn't do it all the time like yesterday I had no problem at all except it being slow to download. Last week it would even connect or it might for awhile then it wouldn't. Unplugging it or restarting it sometimes works but probably about 1/3 the time. Windstream finally told the other owner that they would troubleshoot but could only do it when the computer/internet is not working which apparently it works the majority of the time he is here so he finally said for me to deal with getting them to troubleshoot. And of course now it is working for me.

Crabber85

stupid computer/internet

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 am

Sounds like a bandwidth issue when more than one computer is connecting to the network which is normal for most private or home networks when the max bandwidth is exceeded or nearing the point the router or modem will actually boot or drop certain devices and this usually happens because each connecting computer, tablet or phone has a set amount of bandwidth that is reserved by the Operating System or OS by default and can not be changed.When the reserved amount of bandwidth can not be obtained on the network due to network congestion or too many devices trying to connect at the same time the devices with higher reserve amounts get dumped or booted first and more often by the device itself.Laptops, desk tops, gaming consoles and tablets will disconnect themselves from the local network for the above mentioned reasons.I have AT&T dsl and our bandwidth is so low due to too many people in the area using the same service that I can't have the laptop and my xbox360 connected at the same time if I try the router/modem just shuts down and refuses to work which kicks anybody connected to the home network off the internet.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

stupid computer/internet

Post by jenok » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 am

Possible, I have no idea how many gets on and when. The last time we had problems the brought us a new router box I think. While I was talking to the guy putting it in he said we actually have the inferior service of windstream and just a block or so away they have a new better quality. The strange thing is in that direction there are fewer people/businesses (mostly suburban residents) then there is where i'm at. For heavens sakes there is 2 banks, and walmart plus our business and a few other small businesses in just one block so you would have thought it made more since to put the newer in for the business not the select few outside town. All that time that I was having the most problems it was just the one desktop computer no others.

Laurie LeAnn

stupid computer/internet

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 pm

With ours, I mean our company that provides us with internet. It can be wiring out side your house to if you have land lines still. With some people here that don't want cable just internet they can get a land line for 15$ you can't make out going calls or it cost you. My son's girl friend got this and she was having trouble getting connected , same thing was happening to us at the library, we were being booted off about 10 minutes or couldn't connect.. we were being told our comp were junk, her lap top was junk. I put my foot down and told them now listen kind of hoakey if 2 comp are doing the same thing at the same time.. hers is brand new! Well they ran some test up in the office and out side and found that we had bad wires. They replaced them and hadn't trouble since.. I have wireless in my house to and my cell phone is always by my Kindle when I'm using it. Never had any issues with it not connecting

Crabber85

stupid computer/internet

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:23 am

@jenok, something useful to know is water has the same naturally occurring frequency as what most wifi enabled routers use so if its raining or you have fish tanks running near your devices you'll get a dampened signal from the router as a result.@Laurie, yeah when we had our service installed the tech couldn't get a signal from the phone box on the outside of the house so he had to go around and check all of the pylons in the neighborhood as we have underground lines for everything and he found that three of the nine pylons that cover our subdivision were damaged and so he had to repair them.You let any kind of storm come up even if its miles away and we get our internet disconnected the router/modem wont even keep a connection to the outside line so the whole house goes without internet when that happens.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

stupid computer/internet

Post by jenok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 am

I guess that could explain part of it, but it doesn't make since that a laptop using the connection wireless works better than the desktop plugged in to the router.We have 2 really large tanks. I've been told they are like the cement tanks coffins go into (actually that's what they are). And 2 smaller 100 gal stock tanks that ranchers use for water troughs. This way we can put different size minnows and goldfish or sunfish/perch or crawdads.