Got a message from AT&T about a security breach.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 pm

My brother and his wife came over today for some spaghetti and he shows me an email he got a week ago that should have come to our dads email and it was a warning from AT&T that they had detected an open dns resolver machine on our private home network and that the resolver was given a specific ISP address so I looked it up and the address came back as a broken link and it did not appear anywhere in the router/modems lists of allowed devices.After searching for nearly an hour I finally got some results it was an ISP number in a special list of numbers that are specifically allocated to routers and modems so apparently we had a neighbor piggybacking on our wifi using his/her own adapter to supply their house with free wifi.Well I immediately took care of the problem and switched out the wifi pass code for a new one.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:54 pm

When the guys set up the internet / cable if they get the local we have. Josiah sets up a password for the customer so they are secured. People that set up theirs before josiah was doing didn't have secured and this so called piggy backing was going, you can still find a few places that are unsecured. Kyle could piggy back on a weak signal some days in his apartment. The library isn't secure. We have people that park by it at night so they can use it.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 am

@Laurie, the first pass word we used was one I made up myself so it was very random but it was a low level or short pass word, now the new pass word is much longer and uses a whole different kind of encryption so it is really really hard to crack.I'm familiar with the algorithms used to crack pass codes/words for internet connections and so on which is why its recommended to change out your pass code/word once every few weeks as this adds an extra layer of security by not allowing any computer running a cracker program enough time to actually crack the code.Cracker programs use a sophisticated set of algorithms that run through hundreds of thousands of numbers and letters randomly until it finds a match and it has to do this for each number or letter in your pass code/word so the longer it is the longer it takes the cracker to fill it in.Some computers can crack pass codes/words that are five to eight characters long in just a week or so but can take anywhere from a month to years to crack pass codes/words that are ten to thirty characters long so the longer the code/word the better.Most people who like to crack code don't have very good computers so their computers processing power is much to low for the cracking process to happen very fast.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 am

people around here are not that smart to crack codes just not smart enough to put passwords on things.. like a desk top, lap top, tablet, kindle or ?? we are a very small town we don't have ATT or anything like around here, it's comcast or laharpe cable & phone company are about your only options unless you have it through your phone and then it's us cellular is the big one that has the main stores, the other names are like you have to go in to walmart and sign up for them or a mall middle section sign up and hope they will be there next time you go in..

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 pm

A lot of password cracking programs use a dictionary of words to start with. If you use a long word and put a number in the middle of it and special symbols it will take longer to crack. ie: "Alphabe8tically_Not.Really"Also, some firewalls will block an IP Address if it detects too many requests from it in a certain time.

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 am

The only problem I would have would be remembering it. Seriously! I have a hard enough time remembering an easy password. I'm glad I don't live next to a bunch of people and have to worry about that.