A few questions...

Archived food and water-specific information.

Topic author
jgfceit

A few questions...

Post by jgfceit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 am

1. What's the difference between aquarium salt and pure food-grade Mediterranean Sea Salt?2. How long until I can start handling new crabs?3. What kind of foods should I feed my hermies?Thanks!
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

finalfantasyxii

A few questions...

Post by finalfantasyxii » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am

I don't know about the salt but I wouldn't use it myself. Perhaps somebody else has more info on that. You can get Instant Ocean in a big box for pretty cheap and it lasts for-ev-er! I just used mine up and I've had it for over 6 months. I think it cost $10 at Petco. Note: I put it in a large size ziploc to prevent it from getting damp.General rule is to leave new crabs alone for 30 days. They are super stressed coming to you and probably haven't molted for way too long - not to mention terrible nutrition and conditions. The best thing to do seems to be to ISO them for 30 days with minimal handling in a dark, quiet cage. Gradually bring their conditions up to optimal.http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve...510198 ... 76442Check out the food lists! There are so many things you can feed them. Keep fresh stuff unseasoned and organic. Boiled chicken, frozen shrimp (tails on!), spirulina, popcorn, bell peppers, carrots, blueberries... the list is too long. It's fun to see what they like. Mine love popcorn more than ANYTHING! But I gave them some frozen shrimp last night - which they haven't had in a while - and they went nuts! Speaking of nuts - they like those, too! http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve...5101988/m/6394049897If you want to purchase pre-prepared stuff these are my faves:http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/http://w ... botanicals
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Topic author
jgfceit

A few questions...

Post by jgfceit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks! One more question to add: how long would it take to boil paint off a hermit crab shell? I'm boiling all of mine right now (except for the ones the crabs are in!), and I heard from HCA that it takes 4 hours
My Point(s) Of View

Topic author
jgfceit

A few questions...

Post by jgfceit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 am

One last question: how do I raise humidity? Yes, I dum water in each corner of the tank, and refill the water bowls regularly, but my humidity level is STILL 40%!!! HELP!
My Point(s) Of View

Geranium

A few questions...

Post by Geranium » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Things I've found to help raise humidity.Covering top of tank with plexiglass/glass/plastic wrap, except about an inch or so for ventilation I cover completely when the ceiling fans are running in the room, uncover when turned off, not a good seal on mine so no suffocation riskWater bowls placed by the side mounted UTH, when they're onMoss pit, salt water dampenedEcoEarth mixed in sub or in layersI've also heard people rave about home made bubblers and humidifiers but no experience there.Peg

Crabber85

A few questions...

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 pm

The major difference between salts meant for marine aquariums and natural sea salts is that the aquarium salts are man made to have as little impurity as possible and maximum mineral value.Sea salt on the other hand is typically made from evaporated sea water or collected at natural evaporation zones where the salt builds up over time and is loaded with impurities and doesn't have all of the necessary trace elements hermitcrabs need even though you would think being straight from the ocean it would.You can get away with using sea salt for a few days and only if you don't have exotics who will not do well on it at all.You can't actually save painted shells unfortunately as boiling does release the paint from the top coat sealant but does relatively little in getting rid of the primer bottom coat that a lot of vendors are now using on their painted shells.We generally tell people who have crabs in painted shells to toss them as soon as the crab switches as there is no surefire way to safely remove the paint, sealant and primer.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

A few questions...

Post by finalfantasyxii » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:50 pm

And make sure your substrate is damp to sand castle consistency! I think this is why my tank stays so humid. I also give everything a spritz a few times per week which gives it a boost when it's dropping. I mist with a diluted salt mixture. That keeps everything from getting crusty with salt but keeps down the mold.I don't think you can boil paint of shells... but let us know! I don't think I would use them because what if there was still paint on the inside you couldn't see?What size crabs do you have? You can find good deals on shells in bulk online or from Michaels if your crabs are tiny-small/med.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Topic author
jgfceit

A few questions...

Post by jgfceit » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 am

Believe it or not, boiling paint off for about an hour worked! True, I could only see difference in 2 shells, and they still need another hour, but it works!One last question: Can I leave my crabs at home when I'm on vacation for about a week, or should I have someone take care of them?
My Point(s) Of View

finalfantasyxii

A few questions...

Post by finalfantasyxii » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

It'd probably be best if you could have somebody change out their food a few times while you're away. Honestly, if you had some dried food to leave them they'd probably be fine. I mean, it's not like they have somebody providing them with a perfectly balanced meal each night in the wild! That being said, if you could find someone to take out the old food and put in some new every few days then that's all the better.That is my opinion- for what it's worth!
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Crabber85

A few questions...

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:22 pm

You'd be better off getting someone to come over every other day to change out the food and top off the waters as hermitcrabs are biologically programed to avoid foods they've previously smelled for twenty-four to forty-eight hours after smelling it as a way to ensure that they don't eat the same thing three or more consecutive days in a row which gives them a better chance at having a varied and nutritious diet.I generally have one of my relatives come to my house every other day to change out the food dish and I go over the menu for the week with the temporary care giver a couple of days before I go on my week long trip and so far it's worked out well for both me and my crabs.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Geranium

A few questions...

Post by Geranium » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 am

We do the same, every other day while we are gone. I leave dried foods in a large pill dispenser, portioned out for each tank. No fresh foods as they will mold in my tank in two days. I leave both waters already mixed, labled, and ready with very specific instructions.Peg

Laurie LeAnn

A few questions...

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 am

yep the dried prepared food like you buy become damp and will mold. The only things I found that don't mold are dried leaves, dried bark in chunks, { shave mine on a grater } and cuttle bone. water after a few days becomes filled with their substrate or poop. A good way to get water out the bowl for a person that is not used changing things is leave them a turkey baster and have them suck the water up and shoot it in a glass so they are not trying to get your bowl out and spilling it & over saturating your tank