food question

Archived food and water-specific information.

Topic author

food question

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:24 am

I started to fix lunch for myself and then wondered if my crabbies could eat it too. So I came here to post a question. can hermies eat tuna or salmon? it is canned in water and I wouldn't add anything to it. I know they like smelly stuff so I just wondered.eta:also if you give them canned salmon then giving them the bones would be a welcome treat too huh?

Crabber85

food question

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:30 am

I'm glad you asked they can be given tuna and salmon and I have tried each with mine and they snobbed them both.Don't let this disscuorage you from trying it though it all depends on the personnal preferance of each crab but yes the general idea is the stinkier the better.Mine preferr sardines packed in water but I have to warn you that sardines are packaged with a lot of salt no matter what liqued they are in such as oil, tomatoe or water.I only use the ones packaged in the water and then rinse them with de-chlorinated water before offering them to my crabbies.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Crabby Abby

food question

Post by Crabby Abby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:52 am

Mine don't go for canned product but they do enjoy fresh seafood like shrimp, haddock and salmon.Do be mindful of non-nutritional treats like bagels. Although they are favorably received they fill the belly and discourage the consumption of healthier offerings.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

food question

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 am

yeah I just gave the piece of bagel as a little treat. i wouldn't offer it on a consistent basis. I have some shrimp in the freezer and when I fix it I will set a few aside for the hermies to keep for them as they still have the shell on them so that would be good for the calcium right?

Crabber85

food question

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:18 am

Yes shrimp with the shell on are a good source of calcium, chittin and protien.The sardines actually stank less than the salmon and the tuna and as an addition the whole sardines offer calcium through the fish bones which mine absolutely love.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Crabby Abby

food question

Post by Crabby Abby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:23 am

I offer shrimp with the peel on the side or still attached but butterflied. It doesn't get much attention but it would be thrown away anyway so I figure why not.Shrimp get salted immediately after harvesting to prevent bacteria from forming or something like that so I rinse them well with my fresh water. On occasion after the rinse I splash them with my salt water.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

elsa

food question

Post by elsa » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:32 am

Last night I offered my crabs a pinch of popcorn grits and popcorn meal that I had purchased at a festival, freshly ground with no preservatives. They cleaned up the food tray, wow, best treat I've found that they went wild for. 6 of my hermits have recently come up from second molt, since they like popped corn I thought about this to add celulose.