Lobsters as crab food

Archived food and water-specific information.

Keg

Lobsters as crab food

Post by Keg » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am

I bought frozen lobster tails awhile ago to reward Azazul for surviving the last molt. I assumed it would be really premium because it is red, and appears similar in composition to hermit crab exoskeleton which they crave.First of all, the two tails cost around $12 in the supermarket. This is far more expensive than the bag of mixed/frozen seafood available for less than $4.The seafood has nothing resembling exokeleton in it. But the bag of seafood is far easier to use because it comes in many small parts that can be unfrozen one at a time. One lobster tail is difficult to cut into small pieces once it has been frozen. The thawed tail has to wait in the refrigerator while I feed it incrementally to the crabs over the course of a week or so.Also, lobster has a texture that is disturbingly similar to crab. I don't like seeing it or ripping it apart. Did you know that lobsters are virtually immortal? An old lobster has the same chance of dying in any given year as a young lobster. The oldest known lobster was around 100, if I recall. For practical purposes, they might not tend to actually live forever in the wild simply because there is a chance of getting eaten that accumulates over the years. But anyway, it makes me sad to use lobsters because for all I know, they are as likable as hermit crabs. That being said, do you know what raw lobster smells like? The word "good" springs to mind. I haven't found anything in the bag of seafood smells quite like this.I think Azazul was eating it, but it's hard to say; The pieces were torn apart when they went in so evidence cannot be compiled. Hermit crabs eat only when hungry. They approach new food on their own internal schedule.Frankly, I have nothing factual to add here, just my breezy impressions. But I will add that Azazul did something today...It's the sort of thing that makes her earn a lobster. She SOUGHT attention. Call me a liar if you insist, but she did. Lobster.

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Lobsters as crab food

Post by JediMasterThrash » Thu May 16, 2013 2:49 pm

There's something almost cannibalistic about feeding lobster tails to hermit crabs Though I too am a fan.But I agree, just the "seafood" medly without the shell's is probably missing something. But still a good healthy meal.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Topic author
Crabby Abby

Lobsters as crab food

Post by Crabby Abby » Sat May 18, 2013 4:17 pm

I've offered lobster bits before and it's not been touched but raw shrimp and clams get rave reviews. Regarding the exo, I once had a post molter sit in the same spot for two days chowing a scrubbed out piece of lobster exo. Guess it was just what the doctor ordered.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.