So many personalities to discover

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

Topic author
Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:37 am

Thanks to Julia Crab for her food list I've been offering a nice variety of foods to my crabs and they ate fruit for the first time.Sport snacked on apples and cantaloupe for the longest time, then washed his claws in the bath before retiring to his hut. Anyone else have crabs that wash their claws after dinner? My babies practice good hygiene!Sammy doesn't care how many choices there are, he picks one and that's it. He's my meat and potatoes crab, but he's also the most playful with me! He used to be good buds with Hermie, till we got Baby Love. Baby and Hermie are smaller and they hit it off and left Sammy out. I have a new crab in quarantine and I can't wait for Sammy to have a friend his size.I love discovering their different personalities. Hermie's little and fits anywhere. She goes in the hut, out the window, walks across the outside, goes back in the skylight then re-emerges from under the wall. Once when I saw her go in, I lifted the hut but she wasn't there. I wondered how she could bury herself so fast but she didn't. She was hanging upside-down, looking at me. Somehow she worked them little tips into the smooth underside of the hut. Must've been on her way back to the skylight! What a thrill seeker. I imagine she'd be a roller coaster type in human form. She only climbs chola wood from the underside.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:18 am

^-^ Isn't it funny?Usually when I set Eli outside, he'll walk around slowly for a little while. When he spots the bed he takes off at a sort of dash to get underneath it. The back of his shell sways just like he's wobbling the whole way there. He likes baths a lot, too. After hearing how everyone else's didn't like them in another thread, I thought this was unique. Alexa and Emily didn't seem to like them much, but it usually makes Eli hyper. Last Friday I noticed once he came out he was climbing on top of Alexa's shell, and pretty much following her where ever she went. Even climbing, which she adores but Eli never did.I picked Alexa because she was so outgoing and friendly. Alexa has stolen most of the attention from both hermies. Even though she's larger than Eli and Emily. I'm not to sure about Emily yet. Emily seems to be shy around Eli. Eli has ran away from Emily twice already. She doesn't even have to look at him, he just sees her and runs under a hut.

Topic author
Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:08 am

Sounds like Eli's thinking, "Yikes, there's that cute little red head crab!"Speedy's unique too because he loves to be misted.One time when my crabs had yet to change shells, something suddenly enticed them into doing so. I found Crabby Abby sporting a new one. Despite her name, she was always very mild mannered and sweet but when she spotted Hermie shell shopping within inches of her old one, she climbed on top of it and began waving her claws in a threatening manner. Poor Hermie backed away and each time she'd take a step again, Abby would lift one claw in warning. Discouraged, Hermie popped into her shell. I took Abby out to let Hermie shop in peace and she switched. Then switched again. And again. Finally she found one she liked and took it for a walk to check the fit, going into the hut through the window and back out the door, I guess to make sure it fit there too. When she was satisfied she went to sleep and I put Abby back. She grabbed her old shell with one claw and began digging a hole to hide it.Isn't it amazing to watch them check out a shell? They run their claws all around the opening to check the edges, they turn it around and around, using the hairs on their claws to feel the outside and inside, and pop their heads in for a look-see! Hermie once found a shell far too big for her and she backed her bottom, complete with shell, into the desired one. She thought that was nifty, till she found it wouldn't move with her.
Photobucket album

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 am

Awww, that is so adorable! I actually haven't had the chance to see a switch yet. I have always kept extra shells laying around, but I assumed they just didn't want to change. I'm thinking of buying some smaller ones today to see if Eli or Emily likes them. I have a ton of bigger ones. (I had a larger hermie before Eli. His name was Damien.)Which is probably why there hasn't been a switch.Of course, this is the first time I've had more than one hermie. So I'm really loving the way they react to each other. Eli seems so much happier now ^-^. I'm really glad I found out he needed some friends. I was under the misconception that they did well by theirselves. I like when they climb the most, because they end up in the strangest places ! Once I came home and found Damien on top of his plastic palm tree. Just resting on top of it. Sometimes I'd even come home to see him hanging upside down from the leaves ^-^. I still have no idea how he climbed on top of it every day, but it melted my heart. I buryed him with it, because it was his favourite toy. I still wish that I had known the right way to take care of him. If I had he would probably still be around to play with the others today.You know, pet stores should have some website given when you buy the hermit crabs. The two times I've gone the only advice I was given was to feed and water them. I didn't even get that information from the sales person to bet all. I had to have a friend tell me what to feed and water them. I still can't believe Eli made it through his molt for me.

Topic author
Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:45 am

Whitnoobug, the first time I saw one switch I was stooped down in a Petco or Petsmart, checking out the decor of a tank. I eyed a lively one and watched him scamper about when he came across a shell. He inspected it thoroughly and I was impressed to see what his little claws were capable of. Before getting his approval, he laid his big pincher across the opening to check the size. Wow, smart crab. When he was done, he stood it upright, put his claws to the opening of his own and did a pull up. I giggled. I see your bum-bum!! Then he gave himself a bit of a turn, slid down into the new one and disappeared while he checked that fit too. Then he popped out and walked off. I regret not buying him, he had personality and spontaneity, but that's not what I was there for.As for shells, I've never had a crab choose a painted one. They might switch to one but it's usually just to check it out, then they give it up again. Mine like the natural ones. I've been told to offer shells with opening shaped similar to what they presently have, and that they prefer mother of pearl inside over anything else. If they have cracks anywhere, throw them away. Your hermies won't want them.
Photobucket album