Digging to Molt or Digging for Fun?

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

Topic author
Bubu

Post by Bubu » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:13 pm

(Sorry this is so long!)Hello!A while ago (like 2 weeks or so) I rearranged things in my tank, made a kind of second level with a net, and made everything real pretty and nice. (Didn't last) After I had done all this, I noticed Ringo, my smallest crab, had dug his way under the water dish and was just hanging out there. I figured he was getting ready to molt, so I didn't bother him. The next day Norm, my biggest hermie, went under a hidey hut type thing and dug a deep hole underneath it so the opening was blocked with sand. I figured he too was molting, because he had been down there awhile. Well today I checked them both, because neither had been out since they went under. I didn't dig them up, luckily they were both easily accessed by just lifting up the water dish and the hidey hut and I could see them perfectly. They're not molting, they're just hanging out there.So I figured it would be okay to pick them up, look them over, play with them, etc. So when I was done, I put them just randomly back in their tank, and both proceeded to go straight back to their holes. Are they still preparing for a molt, or just digging around?

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Since they hadn't moved, I would assume they were molting. 2 weeks is probably not enough to expect a molt. The fact that they went right back down makes me think more that they are molting.I was getting really upset over my medium crab who wasn't molting, and she usually goes pretty fast for medium standards. She had been down since 8/11. I finally peeped under the tank this morning and saw a pile of legs. So even sometimes when we expect a molt to happen quickly, it doesn't.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:39 pm

I also think it sounds like they are getting ready to molt. I have a few that have been down for 3 weeks. I can see one from under the tank, shes just sitting there, moves when I shine a flashlight on her so I know shes alive. She may be coming out at night to eat and drink, but I see no signs of that. So... I'll just leave her be. They'll all get around to it eventually.

Topic author
Bubu

Post by Bubu » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks for your replies!I'll just continue to leave them alone then. Actually this morning when I looked at them, Norm had moved from underneath the hidey hut to on top of Ringo. He's like almost vertical on top of him, because of the way he dug down there. I can see him now, just because his shell is peeking out a bit on top and because he's right up against the glass. I guess they like each other's company lol.