Crab-In-A-Cup at Wal-Mart Stores!

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:34 am

Vanessa at CSJ has started an online petition to let Wal Mart know what we think. She intends to contact them directly and let them know what's going on as soon as we have a few more signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/crabacup/petition.html

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:27 pm

I just sent this to Walmart headquarters:To whom this may concern,I have come across many sites online who now condemn Walmart for it's inhumane actions towards animals! Not only do most of your stores contain Betta fish in poor conditions (who at least have a chance), but now you have stooped as low as to have 'fragile' hermit crabs sold in 'CUPS'. This is MOST appalling and makes my stomach turn, as well as many others. I don't know who came up with this idea, but I hope there is such a thing as karma!Hermit Crabs are very misunderstood creatures. They have an 'odd' kind of intelligence once they are settled into a habitat. Even if this is not obvious to most, it is STILL no reason to force animal cruelty and poor living conditions on them! They can only survive in 70-80% humidity with a temperature of 70-78. Proper substrate and water is also VERY neccessary for these creatures to survive! A cup does NOT provide this! Contrary to what you might believe, Hermit Crabs, nor any other living creature for that matter, are 'pets on the go'. What a terrible example you are making!Furthermore, what are you teaching children? Irrespsoniblity and animal cruelty, it would seem, as you are guilty of these things! For what? To make a few extra bucks? That's quite the lesson you're teaching and you should be ASHAMED! Don't you make enough already?I'm not a 'crazy protestor'....I'm not a member of PETA or anything like that. In fact, I've never written a letter like this in my life. However, this story has caught my attention, as has it caught others as well....many of them are signing the online petition against it as you read this letter....It's time to change your ways, and start learning the meaning of a little word....a word that all business' and companies need to understand and adhere to: that word is 'RESPECT'. Sincerely,Catherine(a former walmart customer, until you change your ways!)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:12 am

Here is a pic that CudaCrabby sent to me.Sandra

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:58 am

There is a Wal-Mart in my area that sells/sold crabs. A guy I work with said that they had them in a tank and not cups, however the substrate was gravel and there was water 1/4" deep or so over the entire bottom of the tank. I don't know about the food / sponge / saltwater situation, but I don't imagine it would have been very good. He purchased 2 and they're doing good now, so at least that's good.I don't know if anyone has seen this special that was on PBS about Wal-Mart, but it was truly one of the most disturbing things I'd ever seen in my life. Child labor, sexism, discrimination, price gouging, ABUSING their vendors, bullying vendors, non-union labor, etc... there was so much wrong with this store and company. I will never ever ever even set foot into another Wal-Mart as long as I live. It's so tempting to "save" hermies from these conditions, but that, IMO, just creates false demand and they will be stocked that much more aggressively. In the show I saw, (I think it was "Frontline" or something like that) Wal-Mart was describing how they have very advanced inventory control systems. They store every receipt digitally in a huge computer for several years. They adjust each individual store's inventory based on what sells the most. That's why some of you have seen crabs, some have not... It's all based on where they're selling the most.I don't know if I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think it's right to "save" hermies from pet stores. I'm not cruel hearted at all, but, I would rather my dollars support those who take the time to learn about and provide good conditions for our favorite little friends. If there is no demand at other places, then they will not replenish stock. They're obviously only concerned about dollars and cents, so that seems the best way to hit them-- in the wallet.So, in addition to letters and petitions, I encourage not only boycotting Wal-Mart's pets, but all of the things they sell, and also all of their stores, such as Sam's Club.Sorry this is so long... it's an issue close to my heart... I'm also a House Rabbit Society gal, and I make it a point to never buy supplies for my pets at stores that sell rabbits or other animals that can be adopted at the Humane Society or through a rescue. Breeding is not something that needs to be encouraged either.Ok. Over and out.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm

http://www.apetinc.com/I think this is the website. Though Walmart is still in fault.. ignorance is not excuse when is comes to the care of its animals. Just shows that Walmart should not be in the business to sell any live animals.

Topic author

Hi, Elieria--So far, the only contacts I've ever seen for the company themselves can be found at the top of this post. Also, the local WalMarts that are selling the crabs can be contacted by asking for either that store's general manager or contacting the division's regional management.

Topic author

Yes, that is the company's correct web site.More info:Apet Inc.299 Beeline Drive Bensenville, IL 60106apet@apetinc.comToll-Free: 800-837-APETPhone: 630-595-6808Fax: 630-595-0365

Topic author

Here's the email I'm going to send once I'm sure it is accurate. Could you please tell me what you think before I send it? Also, do you know to whom it should be addressed?To Whom It May Concern:I have been informed that your company, Apet Inc., is responsible for something cruel and sick and that is referred to as the "Crab in a Cup." The "Crab in a Cup" is being sold at Walmart stores and, aside from giving crabs no means to survive while they are waiting to be sold, the "Crab in a Cup" promotes living conditions that are detrimental to the crabs once they are bought. The "Crab in a Cup" should not be continued but you could at least consider improving the living conditions of these hermit crabs.Hermit crabs are living animals, not toys or robot pets and hermit crabs have specific care requirements in order to survive. They need to have a temperature of at least 75 degrees and a humidity of 70-80%. You could at least provide the hermit crabs with food and water, which every living thing needs in order to survive but is not being supplied via the "Crab in a Cup." Any creature, including hermit crabs, should have the right to survive or at least die quickly and painlessly. The hermit crabs under your care are completely helpless and are dying a slow and painful death because of your company's ignorance.When people see a "Crab in a Cup" that is supplied with no means for survival, they get the idea that hermit crabs do not need to be cared for. The "Crab in a Cup" sets an example that says that these creatures can survive if you simply put them in a cup and set them on a shelf. This is sick and all these crabs are suffering because you refuse to discontinue the "Crab in a Cup" or at least provide better living conditions.Thank you for your time and I expect to hear from you soon.Elieria

Topic author

CA,I don't know about PETA but to be honest considering half the stuff they complain about I would think this would be fairly easy for them to slide into.. I have owned hermit crabs for almost two months now. I have researched them for gosh months before hand. I have realized their are two kinds of owners. Ones who see hermit crabs as toys. Then the ones that see them as pets. Look at some of the products that are sold for hermit crabs, painted shells, themed cages. There was a kit little mermaid kit at petco (they had other too) and i was really surprised at the message this was sending. (though I will admit checking it out the contents were useless) Are mammal or bird companions given this kind of treatment?Think the reason crab in a cup is allowed to happened is a lot of people see hermit crabs on the same level as insects. They die.. Who cares.There is no care is crab in a cup.. It is ether be purchased or die. Do they even have dates on the cups . When ever I used to see beta fish in a cup (and I would have thought this with crabs too) I would have thought they are put I a cup daily and then put back in a proper environment at night. I realize now that does not happen and it really makes no sense to me.Ok what was the point of my post I don't know.I think I require more coffee.

Topic author

Here's the letter I sent this morning to Mark Skilkus, company president. Responses, if any, will be posted here.----------Dear Mr. Shilkus,It has come to my attention that your company, Apet Inc., is the supplier of "Crab in a Cup" to Wal-Mart stores across the country.I am writing in an effort to bring awareness to providing better living conditions for these crabs, as your company is currently not offering even the most basic essentials of healthy life to these animals.I am a member of landhermitcrabs.com, an online community for discussion to providing the utmost care of captive hermit crabs. I have been a member since 2004, and have raised hermit crabs since 1992. I, personally, have seen the "Crab in a Cup" display at the pet sections of Wal-Marts and Super Wal-Marts across the central and southern Ohio areas. While my personal belief is that you cease supplying hermit crabs to Wal-Mart stores that are ill-equipped in both staff training and responsibility with any of their animals, I believe my experience with successful hermit crab care can help your company provide a relatively better life for the crabs both in longevity and transit.Hermit crabs are not easy creatures to raise. They must be held in a subtropical climate to allow their lungs to breathe enough moisture to keep the crabs from dehydrating. This requires a minimum humidity level of 80%. In addition, a strong heat source must also be in the balance, usually no less than 75 degrees F.As with any animal, hermit crabs must eat solid foods, and have a ready supply of it. Supplying them with even the most basic foods, such as Florida Marine Research's Hermit Crab Food, will give them sustenance until they are purchased and placed in a proper environment by the crab enthusiast. The variety offered by your company, Coenobita clypeatus, also requires access the fresh water for drinking. Under the proper conditions, hermit crabs can live 20-30 years.Currently, your company provides crabs in a plastic cup and dry aquarium gravel. There is no access to food or water. The Wal-Mart managers accepting shipments from your company are offered so advice on how to remove the animal from its container and placed in a better environment until purchase. In fact, and as observed by other crabbers at landhermitcrabs.com, most crabs are either dead in the store or die shortly thereafter. The manner in which the crabs are stored and displayed is of the utmost cruelty. While your company may not be necessarily responsible for the animals' care after shipment, you do have a responsibility to educate buyers on proper care, and you do owe the crabs the ability to experience a healthy life without subjecting them to a slow death. With better care, you can provide happier customers in the end.I encourage you to contact me to learn what your company can do to assist in better environments for your hermits, or to assist the stores to which you supply on the same.Thanks.[My name/address]

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm

I think you need to attack it on both levels. If Apet can send crabs in a cup with a bit of water and Walmart is willing to buy and sell them then as a business whose goal it is to make money for their shareholders there is no incentive for Apet to stop providing them and willingly take a hit to the pocket.If Walmart sales were to slump they may stop doing business with Apet but I don't think we have that kind of power because there's always someone that will buy them, and on occasion that includes us crabbers.You know, I have a love/hate relationship with Peta, I used to be a member though sometimes I think they attack the wrong source but what if we forwarded something on Walmart/Apet's crab-in-a-cup or even the online petition to their site. Anyone think they'd pick up the ball?The difference between us and them is that they make the news!
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

I think the letter sounds good. I just attended a "round table meeting" with Walmart and I asked specifically;"How do I go about making a company wide change in how we handle our live animals that we sell"She asked what I ment and I told her that we don't meet the needs of our live animals like hemit crabs and frogs. They need certain heat and humidity requirments and we arn't set up to meet those needs. I just purchased a crab that was in a cup for four monthes. I told her that when I go on websites for animals there is a lot of Walmart bashing because of the way we care for our animals. She had a look of horror on her face and said she would get me an answer to me thru our human resource person.I'm going to need info about those frogs and whatever else they sell in a cup so if anything comes of this, I will be informed and be able to give the company good recomendations for keeping live animals.Any info on "cup" animals will be appreciated.Should I start a new thread?Tracy